• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Parents warned as 'deodorant bomb' leaves schoolboy permanently blind in dangerous new craze

Emily Brown

Published 
| Last updated 

Parents warned as 'deodorant bomb' leaves schoolboy permanently blind in dangerous new craze

A mum has issued a warning to other parents after her son was left permanently blind in one eye as a result of a new 'deodorant bomb craze'.

Mum Jennifer Keppie took to Facebook to share her warning last week following the incident involving her son which unfolded at Ross High School in Tranent, Scotland.

The student and a friend were taking part in the 'craze', which Keppie claimed has been around 'for a while now', but the mum said it only came to her attention after her son suffered as a result.

The can Jay was using exploded. Credit: blickwinkel / Alamy Stock Photo
The can Jay was using exploded. Credit: blickwinkel / Alamy Stock Photo

According to Keppie, the trend involves sticking a sharp object into a spray deodorant can and hitting it, 'hoping to release the gas and watch the can spin (or something to that effect)'.

She wrote: "As kids we have all done things that were risky and dangerous without a second thought at the consequences if anything went wrong. Unfortunately for us, it went wrong."

Keppie didn't go into the 'gruesome details', but explained that the deodorant can exploded as her son and his friend were playing with it.

"I can assure you it wasn't pleasant to see," she said.

The student suffered an injury to one of his eyes and after four consultations with different ophthalmologists, it was determined that his vision could not be saved.

His mum wrote: "What was just a bit of fun, quickly turned to tragedy... He has been left permanently blind in one eye."

Keppie said the incident has been 'traumatic' for her son, but she felt the need to share his story as she 'cannot watch another child or family go through what [they] have in the last few days'.

Keppie shared her warning online for other parents. Credit: Jennifer Keppie/Facebook
Keppie shared her warning online for other parents. Credit: Jennifer Keppie/Facebook

"[My son] has been absolutely amazing throughout his ordeal and is honestly the strongest boy I know. I am so proud of him and his resilience," she wrote. "His life changed in a complete second and I genuinely do not want another child to find themselves in the same situation, or worse."

Keppie has urged parents to speak to their kids and let them know the dangers of joining in with such trends, adding: "I always thought you only ever hear about these things and it would never happen to us, but here we are."

East Lothian Council told LADbible the school was not aware of the 'craze' before the student's incident, but that it has raised the issue with all students.

A council spokesperson said: “Everyone at Ross High’s thoughts are with the young person affected. The school has spoken to all year groups about the dangers of aerosol cans and other risks to personal safety. The Head Teacher remains in close contact with the family and support is being offered to anyone who needs it.”

Featured Image Credit: Google Maps/ Dinodia Photos / Alamy

Topics: Viral, Health, Parenting

Emily Brown
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Man finds £47,000 in walls of his home hidden in Nesquik cans but isn't allowed to keep it

10 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Wales banned from singing Tom Jones' song ‘Delilah’ at Six Nations

3 hours ago