Conor McGregor Tweets For The First Time Following Khabib Loss
Conor McGregor has spoken out for the first time since being defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in Las Vegas.
The Irish fighter tweeted: "Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch."
Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.
- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 7, 2018
The fight ended in chaos and controversy when Khabib left the ring trying to get towards one of Conor's entourage, Dillon Danis, and several of Khabib's team invaded the octagon to attack Conor.
Three men were arrested following the fight, but McGregor decided not to press charges. Two of those men are thought to be fellow MMA fighters Zubaira Tukhugov and Islam Makhachev. UFC chief Dana White has vowed that neither will ever fight for the UFC again.
The build up to the fight had been centred around the bad blood between the two fighters. There was no handshake or respect shown before or after the fight.
White also revealed Khabib's share of the purse - thought to be around $2 million (£1.5m) - is being withheld by the Nevada State Athletics Commission, the body who sanctioned the fight.
There is also a chance that Khabib could be stripped of the UFC lightweight title that he defended successfully last night, or that he could even face suspension from the UFC.
More likely than that, especially given Conor's tweet and the obvious dislike that the pair have for one another, is a lucrative rematch.
More Like This
Whether that would be sanctioned in the state of Nevada or not is another matter.
Following the fight, White said: "What happens here is three guys have been arrested, there will be charges against him for sure.
"God knows what's going to happen to Khabib and his guys. There's a lot of repercussions from tonight, things I don't even think they realise yet.
"The guys who jumped in will never fight here again. I've been working hard to promote this sport, this is not what a mixed martial arts event is normally like."
In the post-fight press conference, Khabib apologised for his actions but also refused to hide his distain towards McGregor. He said: "First of all I want to say sorry to Nevada Athletic Commission and second to Vegas. I know this is not my best side. I'm a human being.
"But I don't understand how people can talk about how I jump on the cage. He talked about my religion, he talked about my country, he talked about my father.
"He came to Brooklyn and he broke bus, he almost killed a couple of people. What about this shit?"
Obviously, there is a lot to work out, and a lot of options on the table, but a rematch would be the most lucrative option for all parties and, if both fighters are game, it shouldn't be too hard to arrange.
We've not heard the last of this, for sure.
Featured Image Credit: PA