• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • Lad Files
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Extinct
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
Anthony Joshua responds to calls for him to retire after being knocked out by Daniel Dubois

Home> News> Sport

Updated 14:16 23 Sep 2024 GMT+1Published 13:45 23 Sep 2024 GMT+1

breaking

Anthony Joshua responds to calls for him to retire after being knocked out by Daniel Dubois

The boxer has spoken out after losing to Daniel Dubois

Brenna Cooper

Brenna Cooper

Anthony Joshua has spoken out after being told to retire from boxing after his loss to Daniel Dubois.

Joshua faced the latest setback in his career on Saturday (21 September), after losing a bout against IBF heavyweight champion, Daniel Dubois, at Wembley in London. The bout wasn't an easy one for Joshua, with the 34-year-old taking continuous punches from Dubois in the earlier rounds. Joshua would later drop to the canvas three times in the match before the bout was stopped in the fifth round.

Following the defeat, which is the fourth loss of his career so far, the former heavyweight champion faced calls to retire from the sport.

Advert

(Richard Pelham/Getty Images)
(Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

However, Joshua has now issued a defiant message on social media, revealing that his career is 'far from over'.

"We came up short but we've got to look at all the positives," Joshua said in the lengthy clip, posted on X. The boxer then went on to thank his fans for their support across the last 11 years of his career and urged them to keep up a 'positive' mindset.

"What a rollercoaster journey," he continued, before going on to reaffirm that he is determined to win back his titles.

"You know what the problem is, it's far from over yet. We've done it once, we've done it twice and doing it a third time hasn't been easy bit its something I can achieve, it's about making the right steps forward, working hard and improving," he said.

Advert

"It's got to come from the heart more than anything. It can't come from any external voices or influences; it's got to come form the heart.

"It's only been a day but when I sit back and think, I know I've got a lot of heart. Thanks for your support, thanks for being on this rollercoaster journey with me."

Concluding his statement, Joshua added: "Keep your seatbelt tight because deep, deep, deep down in here I know we've got a lot more to bring to the game and long may it continue.

"British boxing, let's rise up together."

Advert

A two-time former unified world heavyweight boxing champion, Joshua's most notable fight came in 2017 when he beat Ukranian Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley stadium. The bout would later go on to win 'Fight of the Year' by both The Ring magazine and Boxing Writers Association of America.

Prior to his loss against Dubois, Joshua's three other professional losses came against Andy Ruiz Jr. and Oleksandr Usyk.

Featured Image Credit: (X / anthonyjoshua Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

Topics: Anthony Joshua, Boxing, Sport, Twitter

Brenna Cooper
Brenna Cooper

Brenna Cooper is a journalist at LADbible. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a degree in History, followed by an NCTJ accredited masters in Journalism. She began her career as a freelance writer for Digital Spy, where she wrote about all things TV, film and showbiz. Her favourite topics to cover are music, travel and any bizarre pop culture.

X

@_brencoco

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • BBCBBC
    8 hours ago

    How Akinwale Arobieke became an 'urban myth' as bodybuilder found dead at 64

    The bodybuilder was famously banned from touching people's muscles as part of a Sexual Offences Protection Order

    News
  • Youtube/Arlo Medical InjectionsYoutube/Arlo Medical Injections
    8 hours ago

    Man only injected half of his face with botox to see what would happen after two weeks

    He took it upon himself to compare both sides of his face after injecting one with Botox

    News
  • NetflixNetflix
    9 hours ago

    Harrowing true story of plane crash victims that turned to cannibalism when they ran out of food

    In 1972 a plane with 45 people on board crashed in the Andes, the survivors were forced to resort to cannibalism

    News
  • Bridging Minds / YouTubeBridging Minds / YouTube
    12 hours ago

    Disturbing simulation shows what it's like to live with social anxiety

    The video was created as part of an anti-stigma mental health campaign and offers insight into life with social anxiety

    News
  • Viewers spot Tyson Fury reaction as Anthony Joshua got knocked out by Daniel Dubois
  • Anthony Joshua took home huge purse despite loss to Daniel Dubois
  • How to watch the Anthony Joshua vs Daniel Dubois fight in the UK
  • Reason Daniel Dubois 'broke tradition' as fans spot rule was broken just before Anthony Joshua fight