• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
Footballer who collapsed causing Premier League game to be abandoned suffered similar incident last season

Home> News> Sport

Updated 17:40 16 Dec 2023 GMTPublished 17:21 16 Dec 2023 GMT

Footballer who collapsed causing Premier League game to be abandoned suffered similar incident last season

Luton Town's Tom Lockyer appeared to collapse on the pitch during Saturday's Premier League match against AFC Bournemouth

Anish Vij

Anish Vij

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The footballer who collapsed during today's now-abandoned Premier League fixture suffered a similar incident last season.

Luton defender Tom Lockyer appeared to collapse on the pitch today in an away game against AFC Bournemouth.

Lockyer was immediately attended to by paramedics on the 65th minute, as the score remained 1-1 at the time of the stoppage.

Commentator Gary Taphouse said on X at the time: "The Bournemouth staff doctor has confirmed that Tom Lockyer is alert & responsive."

Advert

Luton defender Tom Lockyer appeared to collapse on the pitch today in an away game against AFC Bournemouth.
Nigel French/Sportsphoto/Allstar via Getty Images

Due to a head injury, the defender was removed from the field of play on a stretcher, with a standing ovation from the crowd.

After the players were taken off, the Premier League confirmed the match had been abandoned.

A statement from the Premier League read: “The Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and Luton Town FC has been abandoned due to a player medical incident.

“Our thoughts are with Tom Lockyer and all players involved in today’s match.”

Last season, Lockyer collapsed during Luton’s Sky Bet Championship play-off final win against Coventry.

The defender was conscious as he was stretchered off the pitch, before he was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Opening up about the incident to The Central Club podcast, he said: “I remember walking out with the boy and it was so hot. We were warming up in the sun and I remember thinking ‘wow’.

“I remember trying to find the shade and warm-up in the shaded bit and looking up at Coventry warming up in the shade and thinking ‘that’s unfair’.”

The footballer who collapsed during today's now-abandoned Premier League fixture suffered a similar incident last season.
Sky Sports

He explained: “I’m back-pedalling, and as I’m back-pedalling my head went really light-headed like nothing I’ve ever had before.

“It’s like when you stand up real quick but worse and then my legs went like jelly almost instantly, and I remember falling backwards and the next thing I know I woke up and there were paramedics all around me.

“I remember waking up from a dream, I couldn’t tell you what it was about, but I remember having a dream.

“As soon as I came around, I was like, sweet again.”

He continued: “We got to the hospital, a really nice hospital, and it had Sky in the room. We watch all of extra-time in my room and then it went to penalties.

“That’s when my old man took the photo of me in my bed and my family celebrating with me.

“But even then it was like a half-hearted celebration, no pun intended, because I hadn’t been told what was going on and I didn’t wanna raise my heart rate.”

After a minor heart surgery, the Hatters captain returned to action for the start of the new season and had made 15 appearances so far in all competitions before Saturday’s match.

Featured Image Credit: ESPN/Nigel French/Sportsphoto/Allstar via Getty Images

Topics: Football, Sport, Health, UK News

Anish Vij
Anish Vij

Anish is a Journalist at LADbible Group and is a GG2 Young Journalist of the Year 2025. He has a Master's degree in Multimedia Journalism and a Bachelor's degree in International Business Management. Apart from that, his life revolves around the ‘Four F’s’ - family, friends, football and food. Email: [email protected]

X

@Anish_Vij

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Tiziana FABI / AFP via Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    World Curling confirm change in new statement following ‘cheating’ scandal

    It comes after a number of double touching allegations at the Winter Olympics

    News

    breaking

  • Neil Rasmus/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Attorney General lists 300 celebrities included in Epstein files and claims all are released

    It comes as over three million pages were released in relation to Jeffrey Epstein last month

    News
  • Instagram/@DrDeepSea
    5 hours ago

    Man spent 100 days living underwater in Atlantic Ocean and it had huge impact on him

    He noticed several changes to his health

    News
  • CHRISTOPHE SIMON/AFP via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Gisèle Pelicot issues update on relationship with daughter who stopped speaking to her

    Caroline told the judge she was a 'forgotten victim' in the infamous trial of her father

    News
  • Ibiza 'chair brawl' hotel issues bizarre statement after shocking clip of footballer goes viral
  • FA changes rule on transgender women being able to play football in English women's game
  • Premier League game comes to a stop after player collapsed on the pitch
  • Former Premier League footballer Dean Windass, 55, diagnosed with dementia