ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Brits will soon not be allowed to enter Spain, France or Greece unless they make £6 purchase

Brits will soon not be allowed to enter Spain, France or Greece unless they make £6 purchase

Thanks to Brexit, you'll need to pay for this document to visit the popular holiday spots

Travelling is about to get a little more expensive. Well, £6 more expensive to be precise.

That’s for Brits hoping to visit the likes of Spain, France and Greece on their hols.

This is because European Travel Information and Authorisation Systems (EITAS) are set to come in force.

And, as we’re no longer part of the EU (cheers Brexit), we’ll need to pay for a document to get into various EU countries.

Those also on the list include Italy, Switzerland, Iceland and Norway. You can check out the full list of countries you'll need the visa for here.

These EITAS have been scheduled for a while now and have had multiple delays, with a new launch date announced last week.

You'll need the document as well as your passport.
Getty Stock Photo

It’s been pushed back another year and is said to be ready by Autumn 2024.

And the Entry/Exit system should be in place by Spring 2025.

When this does finally happen, we won’t be allowed into any EU country without buying the document, which will cost around £6.

As well as EU citizens (obviously), travellers under the age of 18 and over 70 won’t need the document. Lucky them.

You can’t currently apply for the ETIAS document, so don’t worry yet, but here’s how it all works.

The official EITAS site explains: “[The ETIAS visa] is linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to three years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new ETIAS travel authorisation.

“With a valid ETIAS travel authorisation, you can enter the territory of these European countries as often as you want for short-term stays - normally for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

“However, it does not guarantee entry. When you arrive, a border guard will ask to see your passport and other documents and verify that you meet the entry conditions.”

You'll need it if you're travelling to a EU country.
Getty Stock Photo

When you get your EITAS travel authorisation, it’s valid for three years or until the travel document you used in your application expires.

You’ll have to keep it in your possession during your entire stay – but know it does only qualify you for a short stay.

The EU say ETIAS are being created to ‘identify security, irregular migration or high epidemic risks posed by visa-exempt visitors travelling to the Schengen States, whilst at the same time facilitate crossing borders for the vast majority of travellers who do not pose such risks’.

But don’t panic about your £6 just yet, since ETIAS won’t totally come into force until 2025.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Stock Photos

Topics: Travel, UK News, Brexit