ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jermaine Jenas releases statement saying he's 'ashamed' after BBC sacking
Home>News>UK News
Updated 21:54 23 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 21:27 23 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Jermaine Jenas releases statement saying he's 'ashamed' after BBC sacking

Jermaine Jenas' contract with the BBC was terminated earlier this week

Lucy Devine

Lucy Devine

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jermaine Jenas has said he is 'ashamed' after being sacked by the BBC.

Speaking on Friday, the former pundit said he is 'deeply sorry' after admitting to sending 'inappropriate' messages to two female colleagues.

Jermaine Jenas has spoken out about what happened (Vince Mignott/MB Media/Getty Images)
Jermaine Jenas has spoken out about what happened (Vince Mignott/MB Media/Getty Images)

Earlier this week, it was revealed that the 41-year-old TV star, who swapped the pitch for punditry following the end of his 13-year career, had been removed from the air and will no longer be the face of either Match of the Day or The One Show.

Advert

A BBC spokesperson told LADbible: “We can confirm that he is no longer part of our presenting line up.”

Now, Jenas has spoken out about what happened, admitting he is 'ashamed' over the revelations that he had been messaging two women.

"I did nothing illegal — these were inappropriate messages between two consenting adults," he told The Sun.

“I am ashamed, and I am deeply sorry. I have let myself down, my family, friends and colleagues down, and I owe everyone an apology — especially the women with whom I was messaging. I am so, so sorry.

“I am sorry for what I have put them through.

“I think it would be fair to say I have a problem. I know I self-sabotage and have a self-destructive streak when it comes to my relationship especially, and I know I need help. And I am getting help."

Jenas with partner, Ellie (Mike Marsland/WireImage)
Jenas with partner, Ellie (Mike Marsland/WireImage)

Jenas added: “I have made a lot of mistakes, and I am asking myself a lot of questions at the moment. I know there’s a lot of work that needs to be done, and it will be hard.

“Before any of this became ­public, I saw my private doctor and after a long discussion, booked in for therapy to try and address these issues, where they stem from, and why I have been doing this and hurting the people I love.

“I’m not proud of what I wrote and what I said. And I do consider it cheating, yes, although nothing physical ever happened.

“This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you’re a member of the BBC.

“And I fell below those standards. I must take the responsibility.

“I was given an incredible opportunity and I know it’s on me that right now I feel I have lost everything. I feel like people are judging me and that I am the number one target right now in the country.”

Jenas said he was 'ashamed' (Joe Prior/Visionhaus via Getty Images)
Jenas said he was 'ashamed' (Joe Prior/Visionhaus via Getty Images)

Jenas also added that no images or videos were exchanged in the messages, and insisted that the texting was consensual.

“I feel people don’t know the truth and are forming opinions about me that aren’t accurate," he added.

“I wasn’t going through some kind of BBC vault trying to get women’s numbers. I’m obviously going to say I’m not a sex pest.

“These were consenting adults I was texting.”

It's reported that Jenas and his partner Ellie - of whom he shares three children with - are going to try and work through the revelations.

During his playing career, Jenas spent eight years at Tottenham and made 155 appearances for the club.

The BBC declined to comment further beyond its original statement.

Featured Image Credit: Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images / Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images

Topics: Sport, News

Lucy Devine
Lucy Devine

Recommended reads

Doctor explains true effects of 'Carrotmaxxing' trend people are doing to 'tan themselves'Getty Stock ImagesEmotional message behind semi-colon tattoo and four others you didn't know the meaning ofThe Washington Post/GettyDoctor issues serious warning over 'most powerful weight loss jab ever' that outperforms Mounjaro and WeGovyGetty StockDeath row inmate's execution called off after botched attempt to take his lifeTennessee Department of Correction

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • The Washington Post/Getty
    2 hours ago

    Emotional message behind semi-colon tattoo and four others you didn't know the meaning of

    The tattoo has a particular meaning for some people

    News
  • Tennessee Department of Correction
    2 hours ago

    Death row inmate's execution called off after botched attempt to take his life

    Even Kim Kardashian has had her say...

    News
  • Photo by Roy Rochlin/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Singer Jack Avery speaks out after child's mother arrested in alleged plot to murder him

    Influencer Gabriela Gonzalez, 24, is accused of trying to hire a hitman on the dark web over a custody dispute

    News
  • Getty Stock
    3 hours ago

    Doctors explain whether you should megadose on creatine as side effects revealed

    The supplement is popular among people as part of their workout regimen

    News
  • Jermaine Jenas releases statement after being axed from BBC
  • Christian Horner releases statement after being sacked by Red Bull after 20 years
  • Max Verstappen releases statement as Red Bull sacks Christian Horner after 20 years
  • Jermaine Jenas makes extraordinary statement live on TalkSport after news of his BBC sacking breaks