ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man accused of deliberately felling world-famous Sycamore Gap tree speaks out
Home>News>UK News
Updated 14:17 30 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 08:11 2 Oct 2023 GMT+1

Man accused of deliberately felling world-famous Sycamore Gap tree speaks out

The 69-year-old man was the second person to be arrested after the iconic tree was cut down last week

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

It’s fair to say 2023 has been a bit of a mad year, there’s been some rather unexpected headlines in the news here in the UK alone.

And yet in all the craziness of even just last week’s stories – from ‘news presenters’ getting suspended to a pilot doing coke – a tree made for big news.

On Thursday 28 September, the landmark along Hadrian’s Wall was cut down in what is believed to have been a ‘deliberate act of vandalism'.

Advert

A 16-year-old boy was first arrested on suspicion of criminal damage before being released on bail. A man in his 60s was then arrested on Friday evening in connection with the felling of the tree.

And now, the accused man has spoken out.

The iconic Sycamore Gap tree.
Michael White/Northumberland National Park/Facebook

Walter Renwick, 69, denied cutting down the tree and has since been released from custody.

A retired lumberjack, he told the Mail: “The speculation is bloody ridiculous. I’ll tell you this much, I wouldn’t be so sad to do that.

“It was a lovely tree, an iconic tree, but I mean to go up there and cut that down, I’m not that stupid.”

After losing a two-year battle, Renwick has been ordered to quit the property where he ran a tourist campsite.

And he told The Sun he understands why people might be blaming him: “I didn’t do it. I am a former lumberjack and I have just been kicked off my property, so I can see why people have pointed the finger.

The felled Sycamore Gap tree, on Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland.
Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

“My brother came down to make sure I hadn't been arrested as he had heard the rumours. It's very sad. It's an iconic tree.”

Locals are reportedly furious with this act against the beloved tree and it’s sparked outrage across Britain. I mean, not exactly in the circles that most of us are in, but with people who this kind of thing apparently means something to.

At the time of his arrest, Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Fenney-Menzies, of Northumbria Police, said: “The senseless destruction of what is undoubtedly a world-renowned landmark – and a local treasure – has quite rightly resulted in an outpour of shock, horror and anger throughout the North East and further afield. I hope this second arrest demonstrates just how seriously we’re taking this situation, and our ongoing commitment to find those responsible and bring them to justice.”

Northumbria Police spokesperson told LADbible: "A male in his 60s was arrested in connection with the incident. He has since been released on police bail, pending further enquiries.”

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Topics: Environment, News, UK News, Sycamore Gap tree

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Jon Bernthal's 11-year-old daughter's pay cheque for The Punisher has been revealedJamie McCarthy/Getty ImagesDoctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degreesGetty Stock PhotoGemma Collins shows off incredible body transformation after shedding 3.5 stone with weight loss jabsGemma Collins/InstagramKiller sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500Fox 26 Houston

Advert

Choose your content:

14 hours ago
16 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    14 hours ago

    Doctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degrees

    Temperatures are soaring to 33 degrees celsius in the UK this week

    News
  • Fox 26 Houston
    14 hours ago

    Killer sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500

    Luis Casillas, 29, begged for his life before being forced to his knees and fatally shot

    News
  • SWNS
    14 hours ago

    Man in £80,000 of debt after harrowing cocaine addiction explains what finally made him quit

    At his worst, Alex Powell was spending £600 a day on drugs

    News
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    16 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's 11-year-old son pays heartbreaking tribute as RCR reveals plan for dad's No.8 car

    The racing star sadly passed away after experiencing a 'severe illness'

    News
  • Two men sentenced to four years in prison after being found guilty of chopping down Sycamore Gap tree
  • Damning evidence that led to the arrest of men who chopped down Sycamore Gap tree as they're sentenced to four years in prison
  • Danny Boyle explains how Sycamore Gap tree features in 28 Years Later after surprise scene
  • Two men found guilty of chopping down world famous Sycamore Gap tree