Donald Trump speaks out for first time on Andrew's arrest

Home> News> US News

Donald Trump speaks out for first time on Andrew's arrest

The former royal was arrested on the morning of his 66th birthday

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Donald Trump has spoken out following this morning's arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

The US president was asked about the former prince, who was arrested on 19 February following a ‘thorough assessment’ of claims of misconduct in public office.

Speaking on Air Force One, the 79-year-old told reporters: “I think it’s a shame. I think it’s very sad.

“I think it’s so bad for the royal family. It’s very, very sad. To me, it’s a very sad thing.”

Trump added that King Charles is a 'fantastic' man 'who’s obviously coming to our country very soon'.

The King is due to visit the States in April to mark 250 years of US independence.

King Charles, who stripped his younger brother of his titles back in October, has already spoken out after the news of this morning's arrest broke.

He said: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Andrew and Donald together in 2000 (Davidoff Studios/Getty Images)
Andrew and Donald together in 2000 (Davidoff Studios/Getty Images)

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

Police have now completed their search of the former prince's address in Norfolk, with Mountbatten-Windsor photographed returning to his home after being released from Aylsham police station, with the investigation still ongoing.

Images of both Trump and Mountbatten-Windsor alongside the disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein were projected onto Windsor Castle when the US president visited the UK on an official state visit last year.

Andrew has been accused of sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with Epstein while serving as the UK's trade envoy.

It was confirmed by Thames Valley Police this evening that he has been released under investigation.

The former prince was spotted in the back of his car as he returned home (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
The former prince was spotted in the back of his car as he returned home (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)

They said: "Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.

"On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"The arrested man has now been released under investigation.

"We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded."

This morning, Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."

Featured Image Credit: SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images

Topics: Donald Trump, Prince Andrew, Royal Family