ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Real Wolf of Wall Street Jordan Belfort defends Donald Trump over 'get rich warning' he sent out to Americans
Home>News>US News
Updated 11:09 11 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 10:58 11 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Real Wolf of Wall Street Jordan Belfort defends Donald Trump over 'get rich warning' he sent out to Americans

Jordan Belfort doesn't believe Donald Trump did anything 'overly suspicious'

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Just hours before the stock market surged on Wednesday (9 April) as Donald Trump paused tariffs, the president sent a ‘get rich warning’ to his people.

Talk of tariffs has been inescapable this month following ‘Liberation Day’.

And now even the real Wolf of Wall Street has weighed in, as he defended the warning Trump sent out to Americans.

Some of the leader’s opponents thought it was somewhat odd that he said it was a ‘great time to buy shares’ just hours before he made a bit of a U-turn on his big tariff policy.

Advert

Having announced tariffs on the majority of countries around the world, Wednesday’s announcement peddled things back somewhat.

The US Treasury Secretary clarified that most countries would still be on a 10 percent baseline tariff but the 'reciprocal' higher tariffs would now be paused for 90 days.

Donald Trump wants to 'make America wealthy again' (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Donald Trump wants to 'make America wealthy again' (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

And the ‘Wolf’ himself, Jordan Belfort, has said it’s not so ‘suspicious’ that Trump made the ‘get rich warning’ about four hours before this pause.

“THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO BUY!!!” he’d wrote on social media, as some questioned whether he’d been sending out some kind of signal to followers.

But Belfort pointed out that this statement was public, not just him tipping off a handful of people.

“I personally don't find it overly suspicious. Especially since he's told it to everybody at once,” the former stockbroker told Sky News.

“If he hadn't said anything and told five of his best friends 'I'm gonna ease this tariff situation - you should be buying', that would be illegal.”

That would’ve come into the world of insider trading, when people use the non-public information to their advantage and make a gain on shares. Belfort previously pleaded guilty to fraud and related crimes in connection with stock-market manipulation.

“He [Trump] had been saying that all along [to buy], it wasn't the only time he'd said that,” Belfort added.

Jordan Belfort previously pleaded guilty to fraud and related crimes in connection with stock-market manipulation (BG027/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images)
Jordan Belfort previously pleaded guilty to fraud and related crimes in connection with stock-market manipulation (BG027/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images)

“[Treasury] Secretary Bessent had been saying that too. It's a really basic piece of advice.”

The real Wolf of Wall Street went on to add that while he’s generally against tariffs, he believes Trump’s recent dramatic actions are necessary.

“The United States has been drained of its wealth, drained of its factories,” he said.

Belfort said the US has an ‘insane’ trade balance as he continued of the tariffs: “It's not gonna be pretty.

“There's going to be pain - but the path we were on before is simply unsustainable. It had to change.”

Featured Image Credit: Sky News

Topics: Donald Trump, US News

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Dodgy Fire Stick users are being identified and given two week legal action warningMichael Nagle/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesKatie Price responds to claims 'missing' husband Lee Andrews has been 'online'Instagram/Katie PriceEmbarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lakeGrapevine PoliceThailand tourism crackdown has new UK visa rule months after cannabis law changeDaniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images

Advert

  • Donald Trump’s greeting after touching down in China is being branded 'disrespectful'
  • Donald Trump's power move fails when meeting Chinese president Xi Jinping
  • Donald Trump’s former lawyer turns against him as he calls for never-before-used law that would remove president
  • Donald Trump served food he hates during 11-course state banquet in China

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    2 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    4 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking