To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Warning Over Cannabis Sweets After Woman Dies In London

Warning Over Cannabis Sweets After Woman Dies In London

The woman and a friend each ate one sweet, and both ‘immediately felt unwell’, police said

Police have issued a warning about the dangers of cannabis sweets following the death of a 23-year-old woman in Ilford

She had purchased the sweets via a messaging app on 29 March, and they were delivered to her in ‘child-friendly packaging with Trrlli Peachie O’s branding’ at her home address. 

The woman and a 21-year-old friend each ate one sweet, which were made with a synthetic cannabinoid, and both ‘immediately felt unwell’, with emergency services called to the property at around 11.30pm that evening. 

Both women were taken to an east London hospital for treatment, but sadly the 23-year-old later died on Saturday 2 April. 

The second woman was discharged following hospital treatment. 

One man was arrested on Friday 1 April after being found with a ‘large quantity of cash and what were believed to be the edible cannabis products’.

The following day, he was charged the following day with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance. 

Stock image.

Enquiries are now under way as police try to identify any other cases of people becoming seriously unwell after eating cannabis sweets, gummies and similar products. 

Officers are investigating one potentially linked case, in which a woman fell ill earlier in March after eating a cannabis sweet in Tower Hamlets. After being taken to hospital, she was later discharged. 

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets. 

“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption. 

Stock image.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured. 

“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.” 

Bell added: "Anyone with information about people selling illegal products such as these is asked to speak with local officers, call police on 101 or, to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers.” 

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: UK News, Drugs