• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • Lad Files
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Extinct
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
Nick Kyrgios sued by Wimbledon fan for saying she had drunk '700 drinks'

Home> Sport

Updated 15:10 23 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 13:09 23 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Nick Kyrgios sued by Wimbledon fan for saying she had drunk '700 drinks'

The tennis star's outburst during the Wimbledon final led to the woman being escorted out of the arena

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

Nick Kyrgios is being sued by the fan he accused of having '700 drinks' during a Wimbledon match. You can watch his outburst below:

The Australian player became frustrated during his Centre Court final against Novak Djokovic last month, shouting at the umpire to do something about a 'drunk spectator'.

The 27-year-old blasted the woman for allegedly putting him off his game and distracting him during points.

Advert

The spectator in question, Anna Palus, was escorted out of the arena before being allowed back in.

She has now threatened to take Kyrgios to court over his outburst, branding his allegations 'reckless and entirely baseless'.

In a statement, the lawyer said: "On Sunday 10 July 2022 I attended the final of the Wimbledon tennis championships with my mother. It was an event we had been looking forward to for some time.

Nick Kyrgios lashed out at a woman in the crowd during the Wimbledon final.
UPI/Alamy

"During the course of the final, Nick Kyrgios made a reckless and entirely baseless allegation against me.

Advert

"Not only did this cause considerable harm on the day, resulting in my temporary removal from the arena, but Mr Kyrgios’s false allegation was broadcast to, and read by, millions around the world, causing me and my family very substantial damage and distress.

"I am not litigious, but after much consideration, I have concluded that that I have no alternative but to instruct my solicitors Brett Wilson LLP to bring defamation proceedings against Mr Kyrgios in order to clear my name.

"The need to obtain vindication, and to prevent repetition of the allegation, are the only reasons for taking legal action.

"Any damages recovered will be donated to charity. Given the extant claim, I am unable to comment further on the events of the day in question.

"I hope that Mr Kyrgios will reflect on the harm he has caused me and my family and offer a prompt resolution to this matter.

Advert

"However, if he is unwilling to do this, I am committed to obtaining vindication in the High Court."

Kyrgios singled Ms Palus out during his first-ever Grand Slam final for shouting between his first and second serves, claiming that it nearly affected his performance.

He told the umpire: "There's no other bigger occasion and they did it again and it nearly cost me the point."

The player then added: "She's [the shouting spectator is] drunk out of her mind so kick her out.

"I know exactly who it is - she's the one who looks like she's had about 700 drinks."

Advert

LADbible has contacted Nick Kyrgios' representatives for a comment.

Featured Image Credit: BBC

Topics: UK News, Wimbledon

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

15 hours ago
16 hours ago
2 days ago
3 days ago
  • Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLCJeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC
    15 hours ago

    Dana White confirms White House UFC event 'is on' despite people calling out 'trashy' event

    White and Trump have promised a different type of event for the 4th of July

    News
  • USTAUSTA
    16 hours ago

    Heartwarming ending to viral video of shocking moment between man and child at tennis match

    Kamil Majchrzak responded after the match, and fans are pleased with the outcome

    News
  • Jun Sato/WireImageJun Sato/WireImage
    2 days ago

    Rampage Jackson hits out at racists after son Raja leaves Syko Stu in critical care

    The former UFC champ called out the hate he's been receiving since his son's violent attack on wrestler Syko Stu

    News
  • GoFundMe/Contessa PattersonGoFundMe/Contessa Patterson
    3 days ago

    Syko Stu's wife hits out at 'unscripted assault' by Raja Jackson as fundraiser launched

    The wrestler and US Army veteran's wife has called out the vicious attack on a GoFundMe page set up to help cover his recovery expenses

    News
  • Liam Payne fan who 'ran into him by chance' shortly before death discusses interactions she had with late singer
  • Rihanna so embarrassed by sex scene in forgotten horror role she had to get drunk to watch it back
  • Prince Andrew’s accuser Virginia Giuffre made final Instagram post saying she had 'days to live' before death
  • Nick Kyrgios settles legal case with Wimbledon fan he accused of being drunk