Tommy Fury Releases Statement After Jake Paul Cancels Boxing Fight
| Last updated
Tommy Fury has released a statement after Jake Paul announced that he'd cancelled their boxing match.
The pair were set to face off in an anticipated fight at Madison Square Garden in August, but their plans were thwarted once again.
In an Instagram Story, the former Love Island contestant said: "I'm gutted and disappointed in regards to the issues I have faced with entry into the USA.
"This is something that myself or my team could have never anticipated happening.
"This situation has been left with my lawyers as being denied entry into a country is obviously a very serious issue and it needs to subsequently be resolved."
He said that he's 'confident' the fight will go ahead once the situation is sorted, adding: "I want to clarify that I will fight in a neutral country that both parties can enter.
"This can be any time, any place, any where."
Fury's statement arrives shortly after Paul tweeted that his team had issued his potential opponent a termination notice.
The YouTuber-turned-boxer wrote: "Fury’s received a termination notice. MVP did everything it could 2 help him & team.
"He wasn’t interested & he literally went into hiding. 2nd time in a row he has pulled out. 2nd time in a row I’m going to step up & take on a new opponent on short notice. AUG 6. MSG."
Fury’s received a termination notice. MVP did everything it could 2 help him & team. He wasn’t interested & he literally went into hiding.— Jake Paul (@jakepaul) July 6, 2022
2nd time in a row he has pulled out.
2nd time in a row I’m going to step up & take on a new opponent on short notice. AUG 6. MSG.
Paul finished his tweet by suggesting there'll be a new announcement tomorrow (7 July).
This is the second time the pair have had to cancel plans to face-off in the ring, with Fury previously pulling out of their last fight in December due to 'a medical condition'.
Last week, the younger brother of Tyson Fury revealed that he'd been denied entry into Paul's home country for the fight as his Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) was turned down.
In a video shared online, he said: "Me and my team this morning arrived at Heathrow Airport, ready for the press conference, ready to fly out.
"As soon as I entered the airport I got pulled to one side and I was told by a Homeland Security officer that was there that my ESTA had been denied and that I wasn't able to travel to the USA for a reason that I apparently know.
"I can stand here and say I've done absolutely nothing wrong, I've no clue why I'm not allowed to travel to the USA."
The 23-year-old athlete added: "So now I'm having to go to the embassies and all this sort of stuff trying to resolve it, and I'm in the middle of training guys. I don't know why this has happened today, it's a massive shock to me and my whole team.
"Obviously it is a matter that needs to be resolved, it's government issues, it's a lot bigger than the fight right now and I'm just trying to get it sorted."
Shortly after the clip, Paul responded by offering the chance to head to the ring on Fury’s home turf if he could cough up $15 million (£12.4 million) - an amount that the 25-year-old claimed his rival 'doesn’t have'.
He also suggested that Fury’s lawyers have 'advised him to go the embassy to get his visa' in order to travel to the US and have their fight as planned.