Woman says she was brought back to life 30 times after being spiked on a night out
| Last updated
A 25-year-old woman says she had to be brought back to life 30 times after being spiked with a needle during a night out in Lancashire.
After giving birth to her son, James, earlier this year, Tammie-Michelle Edwards was enjoying her first night out as a mum with her best friend, Lizz Fawcett, on 13 August.
Edwards treated herself to a few pre-drinks and a couple of glasses of Prosecco before heading out, but once she was at the bar she only had a couple of alcoholic drinks along with some water.
However, the next thing she remembers is leaving Royal Lancashire Infirmary the next day at 6am.
Edwards' husband, James, knew something was wrong during the night when he started to receive text messages from Edwards that weren't 'normal'.
He went to The Crafty Scholar in Lancaster to pick her up, and was met with Fawcett telling him his wife 'needed [him] now'.
"I just thought she was going to be drunk, I didn't think at all that she had been spiked," James said.
He likened Edwards to being 'like a dead body' as she sat on a chair with Fawcett and a bouncer surrounding her, so he took her to the car and started to drive home. On the way, however, he noticed she was 'choking and wasn't breathing'.
"She was just lifeless - every time we were going around the corner she was snapping her neck, it looked like her head was going to fall off her shoulder," he said.
"By the time we had got home, I had resuscitate her about six times. I was stood by the sink and I had resuscitated her around another 10 times."
James called an ambulance, saying: "I can only try and save her life as much as I can, it's such a scary thing - she literally did die in front of me."
Police had to resuscitate Edwards yet again before an ambulance arrived, at which point medics used a defibrillator and continued more manual CPR.
Once at the hospital, Edwards claimed she didn't have any tests done but was told the following morning she was '100 percent spiked', with an image showing an apparent needle mark in her arm.
One week on, the 25-year-old is still in 'excruciating pain' due to the CPR she received, though James said he's just 'over the moon' that his wife is okay.
Edwards is now urging others to 'be careful', advising people to go out in groups and saying venues should be 'checking people's bags'.
A spokesperson for The Crafty Scholar responded to Edwards' claims to assure guests that it takes every allegation of spiking seriously, saying: "We would like to reassure all our guests that customer safety and wellbeing is our priority.
"Our door team assisted Ms Edwards, when she became unwell, and provided a chair and water. They waited with her until her husband arrived and took her home."
The bar also said it continues to have enhanced safety measures in place including searches and providing drink covers to people who want them.
"We continue to work with the police and local authorities to ensure a safe night out is had by all," they said.
The incident has been reported to Lancashire Police, which is investigating.
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Topics: Drugs, Health, UK News