Spencer Matthews speaks out on reports he overdosed on cold sore pills while on holiday
| Last updated
Spencer Matthews has spoken out on reports he overdosed on cold sore pills during holiday – using a bit of humour, of course.
However, rumours began spinning that the 35-year-old had died.
Reports suggested he had overdosed on cold sore medication and passed away – which is clearly untrue.
So, Matthews took to Instagram with one of the false stories, laughing at the headline: “Former Made in Chelsea star overdosed on cold sore pills on family holiday.”
Using laughing-face emojis, the TV star wrote: “For the avoidance of doubt… I’m still alive.
“Also I was hospitalised with a virus but overdose on cold sore stuff sounds more interesting I guess?”
During her podcast, My Therapist Ghosted Me, Matthews’ wife Williams opened up about the family’s holiday and his accident with the medication.
Turns out while they were in Spain, the pair of them were taken ill by a sickness bug.
But, Matthews ‘was hospitalised for two days because he is a little b*tch and he can’t handle it’, she explained to her co-host, comedian Joanna McNally.
Williams continued: “Well, I will tell you what, he overdosed on cold sore tablets. I am not joking, I am not joking, I'm not.
“He overdosed on cold sore tablets and his liver function, because he did it for a full week, taking ten of these things and he said, 'Oh, they're fine.'"
"And he did it to me when I thought I felt a tingle and he said, 'Darling take six of these and you'll be fine', and you're only meant to take two.”
The mum-of-three also clarified that it was most likely the bug then followed by the medication that landed Matthews in hospital.
Apparently, he was particularly unwell with it – every holiday nightmare.
Nims Purja and Bear Grylls executive produced the show with Shine and The Natural Studios.
Speaking to LADbible at the time, he said: "Obviously, at that age, I don't think you have any comprehension of what he's going through on that mountain and how few people can survive the night.
"That was it really, I left the room and I expected to hear later today or tomorrow that he's back and safe, and that's that."