ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
James Bond producer confirms casting for next 007 hasn’t started yet
Home>Entertainment
Published 19:51 19 Feb 2023 GMT

James Bond producer confirms casting for next 007 hasn’t started yet

Many names have previously been thrown into the ring, including Idris Elba, Jack O'Connell and Tom Holland

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The producer for the James Bond films has given a huge update about the next film, amid ongoing rumours about who will be replacing Daniel Craig as the famous MI6 agent.

Since Craig announced that he’d be hanging up the tux, everyone’s had an opinion about who should step up to the plate.

Idris Elba has been among the favourites in the past, but he recently ruled himself out of the running, implying that he’s simply too invested in his current role as detective John Luther, who is due to return in the forthcoming Luther film.

Daniel Craig in his last turn as Bond in No Time to Die.
Universal Pictures

Advert

SAS Rogue Heroes and Skins star Jack O’Connell has also been described by fans as the ‘perfect’ fit, while 26-year-old Tom Holland is another actor who has been linked with the character.

However, it seems we’ve still a way off any official confirmation, as producer Barbara Broccoli has said there’s not even a script yet – let alone a cast.

Speaking to LADbible on the red carpet at the BAFTA Film Awards this afternoon (Sunday 19 February), Broccoli said that, despite all of the rumours about the next 007, casting hasn’t even begun yet.

Acknowledging there has been a lot of speculation about the new Bond, she said: “No, we haven’t even started casting yet.

“There isn’t even a script."

Barbara Broccoli said that there isn't even a script yet for the next Bond movie.
Rich Gold/Alamy Stock Photo

Broccoli has previously noted how Craig had 'cracked Bond open emotionally', saying that same emotional heft would be required of future 007s.

She told Variety last September: “It’s an evolution. Bond is evolving just as men are evolving. I don’t know who’s evolving at a faster pace.”

Speaking alongside fellow producer Michael G Wilson, Broccoli also suggested that 007 casting rumours are much ado about nothing, saying they were still in the ‘early stages’ of tracking down their next Bond.

She even hinted that Idris Elba, who has been hotly tipped to step into Bond’s shoes, was too old for the role.

“We love Idris. The thing is, [the casting decision] is going to be a couple of years off,” she said.

“And when we cast Bond, it’s a 10-12 year commitment. So he’s probably thinking, ‘do I really want that thing?’ Not everybody wants to do that.

“It’s not just about casting an actor for a film. It’s about a reinvention.”

Daniel Craig showed an emotional, more sensitive side to Bond.
Universal Pictures

Last year, producer Michael G Wilson also shared what he felt was required for the role.

Speaking during an event at London’s British Film Institute to celebrate 60 years of James Bond, he said: “We’ve tried looking at younger people in the past. But trying to visualise it doesn’t work.”

He continued: “Remember, Bond’s already a veteran. He’s had some experience. He’s a person who has been through the wars, so to speak. He’s probably been in the SAS or something.

"He isn’t some kid out of high school that you can bring in and start off. That’s why it works for a thirty-something.”

Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock/Universal Pictures

Topics: TV and Film, James Bond

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

Doctor explains true effects of 'Carrotmaxxing' trend people are doing to 'tan themselves'Getty Stock ImagesEmotional message behind semi-colon tattoo and four others you didn't know the meaning ofThe Washington Post/GettyDoctor issues serious warning over 'most powerful weight loss jab ever' that outperforms Mounjaro and WeGovyGetty StockDeath row inmate's execution called off after botched attempt to take his lifeTennessee Department of Correction

Advert

Choose your content:

15 hours ago
  • 20th Century Fox
    15 hours ago

    Rosamund Pike reveals 'intense' weight loss she underwent for Gone Girl that turned her body 'into a chemistry lab'

    Pike was nominated for her only Oscar for the role, but was made to lose a large amount of weight three times during filming

    Entertainment
  • Presley Ann/Getty Images for Netflix
    15 hours ago

    Abbey Romeo issues update as beloved Love on the Spectrum couple break up after five years together

    The Netflix star cited Beyoncé as she spoke about life without David, the milk to her chardonnay

    Entertainment
  • Amy Sussman/Getty
    15 hours ago

    How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardom

    The actor admitted he even took on 'crummy' movies as he worked to pay off his debts

    Entertainment
  • Pete Still/Redferns
    15 hours ago

    Freddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 years

    His alleged daughter first spoke up last year to suggest Mercury was her father

    Entertainment
  • James Bond fans think next 007 has been decided after actor signs new deal
  • Three favourites emerge in James Bond casting and it doesn't include Aaron Taylor-Johnson
  • James Franco confirms Hollywood return for 'big studio movie' after 10 years out of spotlight
  • Huge Irish A-lister emerges as latest James Bond cast frontrunner