80/20 rule in relationships could be the secret to romantic success
| Last updated
With that said, if you’re lucky enough to find a partner who ticks most of your boxes, you should definitely keep doing what you’re doing, right?
However, for a lot of loved-up people, the fact that their partner doesn’t meet all of their requirements and because we know another person is simply one swipe away, people are considering ending their relationships with the hope of finding the perfect match.
A man contacted the @GiveItToMeStraight podcast to complain about his girlfriend, but not because their personalities are clashing, infidelity or any of the usual reasons which can cause turbulence in a partnership.
It’s actually because he feels like they’ve been married for 10 years.
“I can’t feel anything towards her except feelings of coziness, warmness and all kinds of married for ten years,” he told the hosts via a message.
He admits he’s concerned whether ‘life has more passion and feelings to experience’.
This takes us to the 80/20 rule, which you might have heard of in one way or another.
It can be used in many different situations in daily life and not just for relationships - such as our food, exercise routines and costs.
When it comes to relationships, the 80/20 rule relates to the idea that one person can’t meet all of our needs all the time.
Since honeymoon periods are just periods after all, should help prevent feelings of resentment by managing expectations. So, although your relationship may be great 80 percent of the time and the other 20 percent may not be as ideal.
Life-coach and celebrity relationship expert Sloan Sheridan Williams said this was a great approach to relationships.
"Anything that encourages balance in a relationship is always a positive step forward,” she told Glamour.
"The key to a healthy relationship is to raise your standards and lower your expectations. Lowering your expectations for 20% of the relationship which will create enough flexibility to allow a relationship to continue and grow."
Some couples may choose to split their time 80/20, with 20 percent set aside for time away from their partner to do individual activities, like a hobby or travelling. Experts say this could eliminate the pressure of compromise."
"Variety is one of the Six Human Needs,” she added.
"By effectively not getting your own way 20% of the time you potentially open yourself up to new experiences and might perhaps find something new you love."