Vigilante shoots fireworks at JustStopOil protesters on Dartford Crossing during night
| Last updated
Climate protestors have been hard at work in recent moments, spilling milk onto the floor of supermarkets, throwing soup onto a Van Gogh painting and halting day-to-day life by blocking major roads and motorways across the UK.
Well, it appears that one vigilante has taken matters into their own hands by shooting fireworks at a couple of JustStopOil protestors on the Dartford Crossing in the middle of the night.
You can watch the shocking moment unfold here:
Two of the protestors fighting for the welfare of ‘human life’ and ‘the environment’ sparked chaos on the roads in Essex yesterday morning (17 October) when they climbed all the way up the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at Dartford crossing.
The two climbers scaled up two of the 84-metre-tall masts in the early hours of the morning, causing the entire bridge to be closed off.
Yep, really. Just them, some climbing ropes, harnesses and pure vibes.
The pair single-handedly caused a total traffic meltdown during the Monday morning rush hour, while the protesters involved hope that this move will wind up blocking oil tankers from oil terminals.
One of the protesters, civil engineer Morgan Trowland, 39, posted a video from the top of the bridge, demanding that the government halts all new oil and gas licenses and consents.
But a video which surfaced online today (18 October) shows fireworks being thrown in the protestors’ direction, seemingly in a violent bid to encourage the protestors away from the bridge.
Officials believe the fireworks came from the Kent side of the bridge.
Kent Police told LADbible in a statement: "Kent Police are aware of a video circulating online which appears to show fireworks being set off in Greenhithe near to the QEII bridge, Dartford.
"Officers are making enquiries to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the video and to identify any offences which may have been committed."
Essex Police previously confirmed that officers have been working to resolve the situation which came to light yesterday.
They stated: "We received a report shortly before 3.50am today (Monday 17 October) that two people had climbed onto the bridge and are currently at height.
"The bridge has been closed while we resolve the incident which we will do as quickly and as safely for all involved.
"It does mean that we have had to close the bridge to traffic, but a diversion is going to be put in place through the tunnel.
"This is likely to cause delays throughout this morning and this incident may take some time to resolve due to the complexities of safely getting people down from height. Please plan your journey. We appreciate your patience and understanding."
In a further update, police said that they had managed to clear a path for traffic, but there were delays of around 60 minutes.