| Last updated
In an email sent out to customers, Paul Pomroy, Chief Executive Officer of McDonald's UK and Ireland, thanked McDonald's employees for working 'tirelessly' while the company reopened more than 1,000 of its restaurants for drive-thru or McDelivery, and shared gratitude for customers' patience and support.
Pomroy also confirmed McDonald's is 'working hard behind the scenes to open for longer and offer more services', saying: "I hope that within a few weeks we will be able to start trialling breakfast service."
He also confirmed McDelivery would be 'back on' in more than 500 spots, with the help of partners Uber Eats and Just Eat.
Pomroy continued: "Next week we will switch McDelivery® back on in over 500 restaurants, with the help of our delivery partners Uber Eats and Just Eat. As with our Drive-thru operations, it might take a little longer.
"We expect demand to once again be high and both of these factors might impact service times. But I know you'll continue to show the patience we've seen all week and I thank you again for your understanding."
Pomroy reminded people to pick up their litter after visiting their local McDonald's, in order to look after local communities. He also said employees will continue to carry out 'regular litter patrols' around the restaurants.
Pomroy added: "Please continue to bear with us. Employee safety remains my top priority and we will only move forward with new services and menu items when we're confident we can do so whilst still enabling a safe working environment."
McDonald's reopened many more of its branches for drive-thru and McDelivery earlier this week, having promised that by 4 June, 1019 of its restaurants would be back in action for takeaway services.
This week we are reopening Drive Thrus and McDelivery restaurants across the UK and Ireland, tap below to find your nearest reopened restaurant.
If your local restaurant isn't on the list yet, don't worry we'll be announcing more tomorrow.
- McDonald's UK (@McDonaldsUK) June 2, 2020
"This is only possible following the hard work of the teams in our 44 pilot restaurants," a statement said.
"Over the last fortnight, our employees, franchisees and suppliers have worked tirelessly to implement new procedures to enable safe working so that we can now help all parts of the UK and Ireland to enjoy the return of the Big Mac."
The chain also announced various safety measures would be implemented, including: fewer employees in the kitchens to enable the teams to social distance and work safely; limited menus (no breakfast or shakes for now) and reduced opening hours (11am-10pm); encouraging customers to use contactless payment methods and cap their spend at £25; and encouraging drive thru users to browse the menu, order and pay ahead using the My McDonald's App.
You can find out which stores will be open near you by using the restaurant's store locator.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read