To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Four-year-old boy who 'almost died' from slushy hallucinated and clawed at face after drinking it

Four-year-old boy who 'almost died' from slushy hallucinated and clawed at face after drinking it

Parents are being urged to stop giving under 4s slushies

There are snacks and drinks from our childhoods which we could never have imagined were dangerous to consume, but parents are being urged to stop giving their toddlers one specific beverage for fears for their health.

This comes after a little boy called Albie Pegg was rushed to hospital after drinking a slushie.

The four-year-old allegedly began to hallucinate due to the slushie and even clawed at his own face.

Albie and his mum were at a bowling alley during the episode, and he was quickly taken to A&E.

Beth Green and Albie shared their story on Good Morning Britain.

According to Beth Green, who spoke to Good Morning Britain on Tuesday 13 February, Albie was ‘a deadweight’.

After fearing for his life, Beth said: "It was absolutely awful and it was just so heartbreaking."

Albie remembered the awful incident, recalling it to the presenters: "I was very scared and I wanted my daddy to pick me up.”

But what could be so dangerous in a common drink beloved by children all over the world?

According to doctors, it was one particular additive which called Albie’s illness and it wasn’t the colouring.

It was in fact, glycerol.

Glycerol, consumed by under 4’s could have mild to moderate adverse effects and the Food Standards Agency advises that businesses and parents be aware of the dangers.

A children's favourite turned out to be potentially fatal.

FSA Head of Additives, Adam Hardgrave, said: “While the symptoms of glycerol intoxication are usually mild, it is important that parents are aware of the risks – particularly at high levels of consumption.

“It is likely that there is under-reporting of glycerol intoxication, as parents may attribute nausea and headaches to other factors.

“We are grateful to those manufacturers who have already taken steps to reduce levels of glycerol, and to those who have already told us they will be adopting our new guidelines.”

But you’ll be glad to know that the Slush Puppie brand has confirmed that its drinks do not contain glycerol.

Professor Robin May from the FSA was reported by ITV to have said: "The issue is if you consume a lot of glycerol, fast, particularly if you're relatively small ... That can lead water to rush into your blood vessels essentially to compensate.”

Albie was hospitalised after drinking a slushy.

As children's bodies can't deal with glycerol as fast as sugar in the blood, it can cause symptoms such as shock, low blood sugar and lack of consciousness.

The FSA also confirmed that Albie is not the first case of glycerol intoxication as five other cases were reported within the last five years.

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Topics: News, Health, Food And Drink, Parenting