ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
King Charles' former butler says he's 'not shocked' that staff could lose jobs
Home>News
Published 18:43 15 Sep 2022 GMT+1

King Charles' former butler says he's 'not shocked' that staff could lose jobs

Up to 100 employees fear they could lose their jobs at Clarence House

Jake Massey

Jake Massey

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

King Charles' former butler has said the news that staff at Clarence House could lose their jobs is 'not a shock'.

Up to 100 employees at Charles' former residence fear they could lose their jobs following his ascension to the throne, with The Guardian reporting they were informed about forthcoming redundancies during the thanksgiving service for the Queen in Edinburgh on Monday (12 September).

A source told the paper that staff were 'absolutely livid' about the situation; however, Charles' former butler Grant Harrold said the news should come as no shock.

Up to 100 members of staff could lose their jobs.
MICHAEL DUNLEA / Alamy Stock Photo

Advert

He told the BBC: "Trust me, it's not a shock for the household.

"When I joined, I was fully aware that if the Queen passed I would be redundant because my boss is no longer the Prince of Wales."

He added: "The good thing is, I know they will do everything possible to make sure that people are put into positions where possible - and, as I said, there will be people that want to retire or want a change of career."

While some staff may well take the opportunity to start a new chapter, doubtless many had no plans to leave their jobs, and the Public and Commercial Services union (PCS) has written to the head of staff of Charles' former household asking him to halt the planned redundancies.

The union has sent a letter to Principal Private Secretary Sir Clive Alderton, asking him to stop the plans and meet with the union ahead of any future consultation.

PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka said: "To issue a notice of redundancy during the period of mourning is shocking and insensitive.

"We call on Sir Clive to think again, to withdraw his letter and engage with us on any future staffing plans."

A civil service trade union has appealed for the redundancies to be halted.
PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo

Sir Clive's letter - seen by The Guardian - read: "The change in role for our principals will also mean change for our household.

"The portfolio of work previously undertaken in this household supporting the former Prince of Wales’s personal interests, former activities and household operations will no longer be carried out, and the household […] at Clarence House will be closed down."

The letter continued: "It is therefore expected that the need for the posts principally based at Clarence House, whose work supports these areas will no longer be needed.

"I appreciate that this is unsettling news and I wanted to let you know of the support that is available at this point."

A Clarence House spokesperson said: "Following last week's accession, the operations of the household of the former Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have ceased and, as required by law, a consultation process has begun. 

"Our staff have given long and loyal service and, while some redundancies will be unavoidable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for the greatest number of staff."

Featured Image Credit: REUTERS / Alamy Stock Photo / James Boardman / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: UK News, Royal Family, King Charles III

Jake Massey
Jake Massey

Jake Massey is a journalist at LADbible. He graduated from Newcastle University, where he learnt a bit about media and a lot about living without heating. After spending a few years in Australia and New Zealand, Jake secured a role at an obscure radio station in Norwich, inadvertently becoming a real-life Alan Partridge in the process. From there, Jake became a reporter at the Eastern Daily Press. Jake enjoys playing football, listening to music and writing about himself in the third person.

X

@jakesmassey

Recommended reads

Man jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlementWSMV 4Virgin Island contestant with rare vaginal condition explains experience in open post(Instagram/joyrebecca)Ozempic and Mounjaro users risk £1,000 fine if driving while taking GLP-1 medicinesGetty Stock ImagesSecret language Mackenzie Shirilla used with mum during police interview in alarming footageNetflix

Advert

Choose your content:

6 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • WSMV 4
    6 mins ago

    Man jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlement

    Larry Bushart spent 37 days in jail for sharing memes about Charlie Kirk

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    an hour ago

    Ozempic and Mounjaro users risk £1,000 fine if driving while taking GLP-1 medicines

    A pharmacist says drivers using GLP-1 drugs might need to declare certain side effects to the DVLA

    News
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    Secret language Mackenzie Shirilla used with mum during police interview in alarming footage

    Cops later worked out what the killer driver had been saying to her mother Natalie

    News
  • Photo by Alex Grimm/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Harry Maguire left out of England World Cup squad in shock omission

    Maguire has spoken out in a statement to say he is 'shocked and gutted'

    News
  • King Charles fires back during state dinner at Donald Trump's offensive comments
  • Royal protocol explained as Donald Trump breaks major etiquette in first moments of meeting with King Charles
  • Donald Trump immediately broke major royal protocol with King Charles
  • Putin ally issues direct threat to King Charles to raise 'victory banner' over UK