ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Lads who built ‘secret’ den in the woods hit with illegal occupation notice
Home>News
Published 11:00 5 Feb 2023 GMT

Lads who built ‘secret’ den in the woods hit with illegal occupation notice

Council chiefs believed there were concerns over 'health and safety issues.'

Harley Young

Harley Young

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A group of teenage boys built a 'secret' woodland den whilst they were bored, but it might have to be torn down as council chiefs are concerned over the 'health and safety issues' that the den poses.

The den was hand-built by the lads who decided to craft it after having 'no where else to hang out', but their creation faces potential demolition from East Devon District Council.

They've also said the den constitutes as an 'illegal occupation'.

The group of teen lads built their den from free wood and even decorated it with pictures.
SWNS

Advert

The six boys from Beer, East Devon began building their hangout in November and had only finished its construction a couple of weeks prior to receiving a notice on the door of the den.

One of the boys, Leo Gribble, aged 16, said: "We started building the den in mid November last year as in Beer there's not many places for us to go. We got bored and so decided to give ourselves a little project to do."

"It's been finished for a few weeks now, and we hangout there most weekends - there's still a bit more work to do and we can still do improvements."

The thrifty group of boys made their den from free wood found around the forest and local village.

They even used their 'grandparents tools' to hold the structure in place, before covering it in 'two layers of tarp' and painting it so it looked 'nice'.

The boys even went as far as to lay carpet on the floor on the den and pad it out with outdoor furniture items to make it cosy, as well as board games and paintings to keep them entertained.

The lads built the den after having 'no where else to go'.
SWNS

After just a couple of weeks of enjoying their makeshift hangout, they were horrified to receive an illegal occupation notice from the local council.

The notice explained that those in 'unauthorised occupation' of the den must vacate the land by Tuesday (February 7) as they have not obtained a 'lease or licence from the legal owner'.

Leo thinks that the notice could have come off the back of one complaint sent to the council.

He said: "One of the other boys went up around two weeks ago and saw there was a letter stapled to the door. He sent it to our group chat and then I put it up on the community Facebook page.

"We are baffled to be honest, I know there was one anonymous complaint to East Devon Council, but I don't see how they can call it trespassing or illegal occupation.

"I'd like to know a full reasoning as to why there's been such a complaint about it and if there's anything we can do to at least help so we can keep it and it's ok with them."

Leo Gribble, one of the crafty lads who built the den.
SWNS

However, the lads are now unsure what to do next, with Leo saying: "We've been thinking a couple of things - maybe a protest or a petition."

A spokesperson for the council has since issued a statement, saying: "The ‘den’ has been built near the Undercliff on East Devon District Council land, in an area not accessible by vehicles on a steep site, without the proper permissions.

"Following a complaint, we investigated the site and found a wooden shack made from drilled-together wooden pallets, along with a fire pit, rope swing, beer cans etc.

"There were numerous health and safety issues and as we are liable for the land and what happens on it, our hands our legally tied.

"This sadly means we will have to remove the items as we cannot risk the safety of someone’s child."

They concluded: "We know there are mixed feelings locally and we hope the local community can understand this decision, even if they don’t agree with it."

Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Harley Young
Harley Young

Freelance Journalist for LADbible Group

X

@Harley__Young

Recommended reads

Jon Bernthal's 11-year-old daughter's pay cheque for The Punisher has been revealedJamie McCarthy/Getty ImagesDoctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degreesGetty Stock PhotoGemma Collins shows off incredible body transformation after shedding 3.5 stone with weight loss jabsGemma Collins/InstagramKiller sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500Fox 26 Houston

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    an hour ago

    Doctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degrees

    Temperatures are soaring to 33 degrees celsius in the UK this week

    News
  • Fox 26 Houston
    2 hours ago

    Killer sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500

    Luis Casillas, 29, begged for his life before being forced to his knees and fatally shot

    News
  • SWNS
    2 hours ago

    Man in £80,000 of debt after harrowing cocaine addiction explains what finally made him quit

    At his worst, Alex Powell was spending £600 a day on drugs

    News
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's 11-year-old son pays heartbreaking tribute as RCR reveals plan for dad's No.8 car

    The racing star sadly passed away after experiencing a 'severe illness'

    News
  • Parents who abandoned children 'blindfolded in woods' heard opera singing in first court appearance
  • Archaeologists have discovered shocking writing inside the Great Pyramid of Giza that tells us who built it
  • Trump unveils 'Arc de Trump' to be built in the centre of Washington D.C.
  • Chuck Norris had illegal Colosseum fight with Bruce Lee in movie that made 1,000 times its budget