Advert

Man Killed After Gender Reveal Party Trick Went Horribly Wrong

Published 
| Last updated 

Man Killed After Gender Reveal Party Trick Went Horribly Wrong

A man in the US state of Michigan has died after a gender reveal party trick went horribly wrong.

The 26-year-old bloke was standing nearby when a small cannon device was rolled out in the backyard of a home.

The cannon was ignited but blew up, according to 7News, and sent shrapnel flying in every direction.

The victim was struck by the metal and was rushed to Hurley Medical Center in Flint in a serious condition.

Advert

Despite doctor's best efforts, they weren't able to save the young man's life.

Gender reveal smoke cannons can be bought for less than £5. Credit: Creative Commons
Gender reveal smoke cannons can be bought for less than £5. Credit: Creative Commons

In addition to his death, the shrapnel also damaged three cars that were parked in the garage.

Many gender reveal parties aiming for the spectacular have ended badly in recent times, with one causing millions of dollars in damage.

Advert

A 'pyrotechnic device' used for a photo opportunity at a gender reveal party last year sparked a wildfire in California that destroyed more than 7,000 acres of land.

The family that hosted the party are now facing potential jail time, as well as multi-million dollar fines to cover the cost of controlling the blaze.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said fire was sparked by a device that pumps out coloured smoke.

Pyrotechnic machines are often used to release pink or blue smoke so that expecting parents can announce the gender of their new child to family and friends.

Advert

The fire was exacerbated by a record-breaking heatwave that was crippling the state.

However, the woman who claims to have started the gender reveal trend is npw begging people to stop.

After hearing that the destructive blaze began during a gender reveal party, Jenna Karvunidis, who is said to have started the trend for these kinds of gatherings, blasted the people responsible.

Advert

In a post to her Facebook page High Gloss and Sauce, the blogger said: "Oh my god NO.

"The fire that evacuated parts of California is from a GENDER REVEAL PARTY.

"Stop it. Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you.

"It was 116 degrees in Pasadena yesterday and this tool thought it would be smart to light a fire about his kid's d*ck. Toxic masculinity is men thinking they need to explode something because simply enjoying a baby party is for sissies."

Featured Image Credit: Mack Male (Creative Commons)

Topics: News, Gender Reveal, US News

Stewart Perrie
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Pub Named After Mythical Black Dog Renamed To Be 'Anti-Racist'

14 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Ikea Shoppers And Staff Snowed In At Denmark Store

8 hours ago