Bella Thorne Apologises To Sex Workers After 'Breaking' OnlyFans In New Record
| Last updated
The actress was charging as much as $200 (£150) for access to three photographs that purported to show her in a state of undress.
However, fellow site users weren't too happy, as the images weren't as explicit as they made out to be.
On top of that, those who make a living from the site noticed that OnlyFans has since introduced a maximum charge of $50 (£38) for access to images, and the amount of time it takes to get paid has increased from seven days to 30.
It has been suggested that these changes have come into force because the site owes Thorne so much money due to her success.
Since then, the star has spoken out on social media, offering an apology to anyone she'd upset.
Taking to Twitter on Saturday (August 29), the US star told her followers that her intention was to 'remove the stigma behind sex, sex work and the negativity that surrounds the word sex' by 'bringing a mainstream face to it'.
She added: "I wanted to bring attention to the site, the more people on the site the more likely of a chance to normalize the stigmas, And in trying to do this I hurt you.
"I have risked my career a few times to remove the stigma behind sex work, porn, and the natural hatred people spew behind anything sex related.
"I wrote and directed a porn against the high brows of my peers and managers because I WANTED to help with the stigma behind sex."
She continued: "I am a mainstream face and when you have a voice, a platform, you try to use you in helping others and advocate for something bigger than yourself.
"Again in this process I hurt you and for that I'm truly sorry."
She went on to state: "Ps. I'm meeting with only fans about the new restrictions to find out why!!! This is f***ed up and I'm sorry comment any ideas or concerns you want brought up to OF!! and send me your links and a pic so I can promote you guys."
Thorne's posts have received thousands of likes, retweets and comments, many of which continue to speak negatively about her impact on the website and the sex industry in general.
"Don't make ur movie. Sex work can't be just made into Supersize Me," commented one user, while another simply wrote: "It's because you didn't show your bewbs that's why."
One person took the time to explain why she'd angered so many: "I'm sure that you have positive attributes and I am sure that you have felt that you have been supportive of the sex worker community.
"But do you understand that what you did was bad? Criminal? Wrong? That is what hurt us. You made all of us look like scam artists."
Some of the commenters had other ideas about how Thorne should respond: "Return the money you received f4om scamming people would be a good start if you TRULY want to fix the mess."
"Here is an idea Distribute the $2M to all only fans members w less than 40 subscribers there is girls out there really risking it all tryin to make ends meet," wrote another, adding: "show that you care hun".
Despite the backlash, OnlyFans has denied that it has moved the goalposts of its rules as a result of Thorne's success.
A spokesperson told TMZ: "Transaction limits are set to help prevent overspending and to allow our users to continue to use the site safely.
"We value all of the feedback received since this change was implemented and we will continue to review these limits."
The statement continued: "Our objective remains to provide the best platform possible for the OnlyFans community. We can confirm that any changes to transaction limits are not based on any one user."