A man who complained of abdominal pains was found to have a mobile phone lodged inside his stomach.
The man rocked up to Aswan University Hospital in the south of Egypt and doctors treated him for intestinal and abdominal infections.
However, they were stunned to discover the cause of the problems on an X-ray, which showed a mobile phone lodged in his stomach.
Perhaps even more stunning still, the man then confessed that he had swallowed the device half a year ago, but had been too embarrassed to admit himself to hospital, and instead just hoped that he would pass it naturally.
This was wishful thinking though, and he ended up being admitted for emergency surgery to treat life-threatening injuries.
Mohamed El-Dahshoury, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Aswan University Hospitals, said it was the first time they had seen such a case in which a patient had swallowed an entire phone, according to United Arab Emirates media outlet Gulf Today.
There is no update on the man's health status, but it is believed that he will make a full recovery.
It is currently unclear why - or indeed how - he swallowed the mobile phone.
While this is obviously an extremely unusual procedure for a doctor, surgeons in Pristina, Kosovo, recently had to deal with a very similar case.
The patient was a 33-year-old chap who had somehow managed to swallow an entire classic Nokia phone - you know, the type commonly referred to as a 'brick phone'.
Doctor Skender Telaku was given the task of safely removing the phone from the man's stomach.
After undergoing one of the most bizarre operations of his career, Telaku told local media: "I got a call about a patient who swallowed an object, and after carrying out a scan we noticed that the phone had split into three parts."
He added: "Out of all the parts, it was the battery that concerned us most because it could have potentially exploded in the man's stomach."
Dr Telaku and his team used a camera to locate the whereabouts of the phone, before spending two hours extracting it via the same route it got in there - the mouth.
Dr Telaku said that the patient clearly must have swallowed the phone intentionally, but the patient had offered no explanation.
Featured Image Credit: Newsflash
- Football fan goes viral for making his own VAR at a World Cup game
- Man Found With 2lbs Of Gold Up His Bum After 'Acting Suspiciously' At Airport
- Man is planning his dream wedding with rag doll after starting family together
- Man Who's Lived On Cruise Ships For More Than 20 Years Can No Longer Walk Straight On Land