Advert

Latest

Gangs Raiding Lorries At 50mph To Steal PS5s, Cigs And Phones Before Christmas
published at2 hours ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Man's Leg Swelled To Size Of Pig After Getting Bitten By Mosquito

Man's Leg Swelled To Size Of Pig After Getting Bitten By Mosquito

The leg of a man in Cambodia has swollen to the size of a pig, after his mosquito bites became infected more than two decades ago and caused the limb to balloon.

Bong Thet, 27, now has to drag his leg along the ground painfully as he tries to move around his family home in Kampong Chhnang province.

Having once dreamed of being a footballer, Bong has not been able to kick a ball properly since he was six years old, when the tumour first started developing.

Advert

It began to grow from small wounds on his foot, which his parents had ignored as they believed they were merely scratches from playing outside.

Credit: ViralPress
Credit: ViralPress

However, small lumps started to appear on Bong's foot, and by the time he was 12 years old they had completely covered his legs.

Sadly, his parents - who were working in a nearby factory - could not afford the medical treatment for their son, meaning the condition worsened over the years.

Advert
Credit: ViralPress
Credit: ViralPress

Bong eventually had to stop going to school as it became too difficult for him to walk long distances, and when he could attend, other children constantly teased him about his leg.

He endured the condition without seeking specialist help for more than two decades, until earier this month, when some good Samaritans heard about his story and offered to pay for Bong's much-needed treatment.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Bus Passenger Bitten By Man After Asking Him To Wear Mask Properly

Businesswoman Dana Try gave 10,000,000 Cambodia Riel (around $2,500 / £1,900), which paid for his medical expenses, meaning Bong was able to visit a hospital for the first time.

Advert
News

Brit Dad Bitten By Cobra While Fighting Coronavirus

published at15 days ago

At hospital, doctors checked Bong's blood and found that he has Lymphatic filariasis, a parasitic disease caused by thread-like worms.

They said it was possible that he contracted the parasites from mosquito bites, which were scratched and then bled, leading to the wounds.

Credit: ViralPress
Credit: ViralPress
Advert

The condition is one of the leading causes of disability in the world, but there is no known vaccine or cure for the disease yet.

Bong was disheartened when he learned that the disease was incurable, but he was still incredibly grateful to those who had donated money to his cause.

He said: ''This will make my life easier and knowing that there are people who care for me makes me feel happy.

''I am so grateful for them to helping. They money will pay for medicine and food.

Advert

''I will continue to take the medication given to me by the doctors which will make my life more comfortable.''

Featured Image Credit: ViralPress

Topics: World News, News, Cambodia

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Giovanna Fletcher Crowned Winner Of I'm A Celebrity 2020
published ata day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Entertainment

ITV Announce Gordon Gino And Fred's Road Trip Christmas Special Show

published ata day ago

Jess Hardiman

Jess is a journalist at LADbible who graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics - indecisiveness at its finest, right there. She also works for FOODbible and its sister page Seitanists, which are both a safe haven for her to channel a love for homemade pasta, fennel and everything else in between. You can contact Jess at [email protected]