Advert

Latest

More Than One Million People Sign Petition Calling For Dominic Cummings To Be Sacked
published atin an hour
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Teenage Girl Electrocuted In The Bath After Charging Phone Slipped Into Water

Teenage Girl Electrocuted In The Bath After Charging Phone Slipped Into Water

A French schoolgirl has died after her phone fell into the bath while it was charging.

The 15-year-old, who has been identified only as Tiffenn, was rushed to hospital in Marseilles, France, on Sunday afternoon but medics couldn't resuscitate her despite rapid intervention.

Advert

According to France Bleu, Tiffenn had plugged her phone into an extension cord but the device fell on her chest while she was immersed in the water.

Stock image of a phone charging. Credit: Flickr/freestocks.org
Stock image of a phone charging. Credit: Flickr/freestocks.org

Tiffenn's father, Serge, spoke to French news channel BFM TV and said: "I have three children, it's a war every day to say that you don't take your phone in the bathroom.

"We called her, no answer. We broke the door to enter the bathroom. Tiffenn was lying down the phone was in the water and we discovered that her charger was plugged into an outlet in the bathroom. We couldn't resuscitate her."

Now he is calling on manufacturers to try and prevent something like this happening again.

Advert

"Put a circuit breaker, a fuse," he suggested. "We are able to do a lot of things today but put something that will trip immediately, as soon as the phone is connected to water. It must stop."

More Like This

1 of 6
Woman Dies After Dropping Her Charging Phone In The Bath
News

Woman Dies After Dropping Her Charging Phone In The Bath

Tiffenn's father, Serge. Credit: BFM TV
Tiffenn's father, Serge. Credit: BFM TV

He then went on to speak about 'unofficial' chargers that are sold cheaper on the market but don't necessarily meet safety standards.

He explained: "A charger costs 15-20 euros, it's a huge one for a teenager. So young people are turning to those that cost 4-5 euros. And this charger should not be on the market. Tiffenn died of that.

"There is a police investigation underway today but what I am saying is: beware."

Yulia Vysotskaya is another young girl who died under the same tragic circumstances. Credit: East2West
Yulia Vysotskaya is another young girl who died under the same tragic circumstances. Credit: East2West

In March last year, 14-year-old Yulia Vysotskaya died after dropping her charging phone in the bath when it slipped from her grip.

According to reports, the medical notes on the death claim the schoolgirl died from drowning after suffering a massive electric shock at her home in Cheboksary, Russia.

One news outlet said Yulia's devastated parents called an ambulance, but added: "Paramedics were only able to register the schoolgirl's death and take her body to the morgue."

In December of 2018, Russian martial arts champion Irina Rybnikova was just 15 years old when she died instantly after using her mobile phone - which was plugged into a charger - while in the bath at her home in Bratsk, Siberia.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: phone, News, Technology, France

Rebecca Shepherd

I'm Becky - a journalist at LADbible. I graduated with a First Class BA in Journalism before going on to cover criminal court cases, medical tribunals and breaking news for the national media - which inevitably and eventually became as glum as it sounds. Can often be found rocking a bag for life - which I made a 'thing' way before Rihanna. You can contact me at [email protected]