ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Pub owner puts 'racist' dolls back up after police raid and says its only young people who get offended
Home>News
Published 06:11 12 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Pub owner puts 'racist' dolls back up after police raid and says its only young people who get offended

Police seized the couple's dolls and said they were investigating a ‘hate crime’.

Charisa Bossinakis

Charisa Bossinakis

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A pub owner has reinstalled controversial dolls after police raided the venue and seized them.

Six officers interviewed pub owner Benice Ryley about her dolls after authorities received an anonymous complaint about The White Hart Inn in Grays, Essex.

She and her husband Chris have displayed their collection of 15 dolls at their establishment as customers have gifted to them over the years.

The dolls were spawned during the Jim Crow era in the US and depict a caricature of a minstrel - which itself represented a demeaning image of Black people.

Advert

SWNS

In recent years, these g******g toys and imagery have been prohibited as many activists have deemed it a ‘racist symbol’.

CCTV footage shows one officer inspecting the bar during last week's raid before gathering the dolls and placing them into an evidence bag.

While speaking to Thurrock Nub News, Benice said: "Apparently, a visitor to the pub had been quite upset about them and made a complaint.

“Chris is away abroad and will be until the middle of May.

"Police said as he is the licensee, they need to interview him, and they have taken the dolls away in the interim.”

The couple, who have owned the pub for almost two decades, also refused to remove the black-faced dolls after the local authority received a complaint in 2018.

Benice added: "I don't understand why we have to go through all this again.

"We have the police taking away information that is literally the history of this country. And why?”

SWNS

She added: "If we were not breaking the law, then, why are we breaking the law now?”

The woman said that if punters have an issue with the dolls being on display, they should not enter the venue.

There is a sign on the venue that says 'We have golly dolls displayed inside on our shelves. If you feel offended. Please do not enter'.

Benice continued: "I think the racist people are the ones who complain – it’s their problem, not us.”

She added: "I have so many different cultures come in here, we are definitely not racist. We do many Indian weddings, for example.”

A spokesperson for Essex Police said: "We are investigating an allegation of hate crime in Grays reported to us on 24 February.

"On Tuesday, 4 April, we attended a location off Argent Street, Grays, and seized several items in connection with our investigation."

Benice has since put the dolls back up in the pub following the raid.

She explained to the Independent: "These are from our past and it’s only the young lads complaining … it’s absolutely silly.”

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: News, UK News, Racism

Charisa Bossinakis
Charisa Bossinakis

Charisa Bossinakis is an Associative Journalist at LADbible. Charisa has worked across various media platforms including, print, digital, radio and podcasting while maintaining the highest regard for quality work and integrity. She also covered everything from breaking news, to pop culture, entertainment and politics and is part of the editorial team for LADbible.

X

@CBossinakis

Recommended reads

Why Dana White announced Conor McGregor's comeback fight during Francis Ngannou Netflix walkoutChris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty ImagesGTA 6 pre-order chaos begins after third delay ruled outRockstarMan arrested at Venezuela Fury's wedding held on suspicion of 'licensing offence'TikTok/parisvenezeulaEuphoria creator called out for 'insane' scene in 'diabolical' new episodeHBO

Advert

  • YouTuber who went undercover as white man also tricked KKK leader in ‘America’s most racist town’
  • McDonald's is bringing back its 'best ever burger' in new Christmas menu
  • How to get 63 days off work in 2026 only using 28 days of annual leave
  • McDonald's bringing back 'best ever burger' but only to specific part of UK

Choose your content:

5 mins ago
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
    5 mins ago

    Why Dana White announced Conor McGregor's comeback fight during Francis Ngannou Netflix walkout

    The French-Cameroonian boxer simply said he 'doesn't care' as the UFC president made the move on Saturday

    News
  • TikTok/parisvenezeula
    2 hours ago

    Man arrested at Venezuela Fury's wedding held on suspicion of 'licensing offence'

    Police rocked up to the venue where the 16-year-old's wedding reception was held on Saturday

    News
  • (Facebook/Steven Mattas)
    2 hours ago

    Police officer describes horrifying scenes as man torn to death by great white shark

    Steven Mattaboni was spearfishing with friends when he was attacked off the coast of Perth's 'paradise island'

    News
  • Facebook
    5 hours ago

    Chris Watts hears daughter’s tragic final words ‘every time he closes eyes’

    Chris Watts is serving five life sentences without parole for the 2018 murders of his pregnant wife, Shanann, and their two daughters

    News