Advert

Restaurant Owner Fined £10,000 'Tried To Pretend Disgusting Mouldy Chicken Was Crab Meat’

Published 
| Last updated 

Restaurant Owner Fined £10,000 'Tried To Pretend Disgusting Mouldy Chicken Was Crab Meat’

A restaurant owner who's been fined £10,000 'tried to pass off revolting mouldy chicken as a boiled crab'.

Lagos Island was given a food hygiene rating of zero after it refused to close when ordered by the council.

The council's first visit to the Leyton restaurant in 2018 was met with a cockroach and mouse infestation, The Sun reports.

Despite being ordered to shut down its business in August that year, owner Gaby Kolajo had other plans.

Advert
Credit: WF Council
Credit: WF Council

He was spotted, just days after, hosting a birthday party in the venue.

Kolajo told officers, who caught him that day, that he'd chosen to close half of the premises.

On further inspection, officers reportedly found a container of mouldy chicken in the kitchen.

Advert

Yet, Kolajo insisted that the tub contained boiled crab.

The owner appeared at Stratford Magistrates Court last month and was found guilty of failing to keep his business clean or control pests, serving customers despite an imminent health risk and serving food 'unfit for human consumption'.

He was then given the highest possible fine of £10,170, which included £2,000 costs to the council, as well as a £170 victim surcharge.

Credit: Google Maps
Credit: Google Maps
Advert

Council deputy leader Clyde Loakes said: “The magistrate clearly saw through Kolajo’s claims and used their full powers as a warning that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

"The state of the kitchens was bad enough but the owner decided to ignore the environmental health officer and the court to continue serving customers, putting their health at serious risk.

"As a local authority we have limited powers in what we can do to a business - even one that so egregiously ignores order.

"But you can rest assured that we will use all the powers available to us to take action against the minority of food business operators who do not take their responsibilities seriously like Mr Kolajo."

Advert

Last October, a 'filthy' fish and chip shop in Darfield was also handed a zero food hygiene rating. 

A routine inspection at Amy's Fish and Chips near Barnsley, South Yorkshire, revealed food was being kept on the floor and left outside to cool down. 

Credit: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Credit: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

The way in which the inspector observed food being stored and prepared was described as 'ideal conditions for food positioning bacteria'.

Advert

Cross-contamination was a particular concern, with raw meat prepared next to food that was about to be served, and raw and cooked meat stored alongside each other in the fridge. 

A whole raw fish was also found being kept in a washing up bowl in the fridge - which was 12.9°C, almost 8°C warmer than Food Standards Agency (FSA) recommendations.

The report concluded: "The hygiene and safety standards noted on this inspection fall well below those expected."

Featured Image Credit: Google Maps

Topics: Food And Drink, UK News

Anish Vij
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Tiger Tiger Clubbers 'Given Caustic Soda Instead Of Salt For Tequila'

7 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Tourist At Auschwitz Detained After Doing Nazi Salute As 'Bad Joke'

2 hours ago