ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
World number one tennis star asks for phone to take photo of evidence after clash with umpire
Home>News>Sport
Updated 09:15 29 Dec 2025 GMTPublished 11:20 20 Apr 2025 GMT+1

World number one tennis star asks for phone to take photo of evidence after clash with umpire

The player says they shared a 'strong handshake' afterwards

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The world number one tennis star made quite the statement yesterday (19 April) when she took a photo on the court.

And it wasn’t a winning selfie or a scenic snap to post to her Instagram story. Instead, Aryna Sablenka was taking matters into her own hands, as she wanted to gather evidence after a clash with the umpire, Miriam Bley.

The Belarusian 26-year-old is currently ranked as the world number one in women’s singles by the Women’s Tennis Association, and is known for an aggressive style of play in the sport and powerful serve.

She faced Elise Mertens yesterday in the quarter-final at the Stuttgart Open.

Advert

And when she was break point down against her opponent, she took problem with an ‘out’ call on her shot from Bley.

Sablenka is the current world number one. (Robert Prange/Getty Images)
Sablenka is the current world number one. (Robert Prange/Getty Images)

Sablenka looked pretty annoyed when it gave Mertens the first service break and a 4-3 lead in the opening set, with the umpire confirming the call with a check.

But she wasn’t letting it slide as she went over to have a look for herself and asked Bley to check it again.

The German umpire refused so the player asked to borrow one of her team members’ phones. She then snapped a photo of the mark while some of the crowd let out cheers and whistles.

Bley ended up giving Sablenka a warning for unsportsmanlike conduct for this bold behaviour.

It didn’t seem to matter too much anyway as the world number one quickly put the whole thing behind her to immediately break back. She ended up winning 6-4, 6-1.

After the match, the umpire and player shook hands but it left Sablenka thinking Bley hadn’t quite let the bizarre incident go.

“When I gave her a handshake, there was a very interesting look and a very strong handshake. Never had it before,” she said in her on-court interview.

She asked for a phone to snap the mark. (Sky Sports)
She asked for a phone to snap the mark. (Sky Sports)

Asked if she had squeezed Bley’s hand back, Sablenka said: “No, it's okay. Why would I play this game with someone like her? It's okay."

She’ll now face Jasmine Paolini for a place in Monday’s final.

Reacting to the phone incident on X, users wrote that they’d ‘never seen anything like this’.

“Good for her. That’s how you do it,” one said as others called her a ‘queen’ and said she was ‘right’.

Others pointed out that Jaume Munar did the same thing at a match last year, while some say Sablenka’s behaviour was ‘unacceptable’ when Bley had already checked once and made the call.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports

Topics: Sport, News

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘made chilling boast’ before going missingInstagram/WesleeeAndrewsGTA 6 may be unplayable for millions at launch with key decision neededRockstarWoman with vagina in 'world's top 1%' doing $2m a year experiment avoids tampons 'at all costs'Kate ToloMan who ran 10,000 miles and completed 109,600 push-ups, sit-ups, and squats shows off insane transformationX

Advert

  • The Underestimated, The Overlooked, The Unstoppable: How UA Next Is Opening Doors For London’s Young Athletes
  • Jennifer Lopez shares photo with Lewis Hamilton at Grand Prix after F1 star admitted to 'taking his shot' with her
  • People left stunned after woman appears to take photo of her bum during baseball game on live TV
  • 'Number one hacker in the world' explains why the dark web is so terrifying

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
16 hours ago
18 hours ago
20 hours ago
  • YouTube
    3 hours ago

    Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’

    The group failed to resurface from the 'challenging' underwater expedition they embarked on last Thursday

    News
  • Grapevine Police
    16 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    18 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    20 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News