ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Semi-final opponent of Olympic boxer who failed gender eligibility test speaks out following controversy
Home>News>Sport
Published 10:47 4 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Semi-final opponent of Olympic boxer who failed gender eligibility test speaks out following controversy

Imane Khelif has secured herself a medal after facing backlash

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The semi-final opponent of the Olympic boxer who failed a gender eligibility test has spoken out following controversy.

Imane Khelif defeated Anna Luca Hamori in the women’s 66kg quarter-final yesterday (3 August), securing herself a medal in this year’s games.

However, she’s been the subject of online abuse and controversy which became even louder after her opponent earlier in the week abandoned their fight after just 46 seconds.

Algeria’s Khelif is one of two boxers at the Paris Olympics who were disqualified from last year’s Women’s World Boxing Championships after failing to meet their gender eligibility criteria.

Advert

The International Boxing Association (IBA) president Umar Kremlev said they ‘proved’ she and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting ‘had XY chromosomes and were thus excluded’. It said they had elevated levels of testosterone and couldn’t compete.

Imane Khelif won her quarter-final yesterday (3 August). (Richard Pelham/Getty Images)
Imane Khelif won her quarter-final yesterday (3 August). (Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

Khelif however was born and raised as a woman and has never publicly identified as a man, intersex or transgender.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) defended her inclusion at Paris and said it was 'saddened' by the abuse she has been facing.

Many others have also spoken out in defence of Khelif with her former opponent, Angela Carini saying the backlash made her ‘sad’.

And as the boxer progresses to the semi-finals, she will fight Thailand’s Janjaem Suwannapheng on Tuesday (6 August).

The pair have faced each other before with the Thai boxer saying she lost because her body was exhausted and as she was menstruating, she was a little weaker.

She does admit that Khelif’s punching power and physique are strong but she’s ‘improved since then’ and Khaosod English reports her saying: “I’ll fight with all I’ve got.”

The Thai boxer faces Khelif on Tuesday (6 August). (MOHD RASFAN/AFP via Getty Images)
The Thai boxer faces Khelif on Tuesday (6 August). (MOHD RASFAN/AFP via Getty Images)

Suqannapheng continued: “I’ve looked into it too, about her hormones, and I know she’s lost to female boxers before, but that was a long time ago.

“But if we meet again, I’m not afraid because we’re evenly matched. I’ve prepared my body well too, trained a lot. I just think, no matter how strong or tough, we’re both human, we both have two fists. Having come this far, I want to go all the way to the gold medal.”

Following the controversial fight that saw Carini withdraw, the IOC issued a statement, reaffirming ‘every person has the right to practice sport without discrimination’.

“All athletes participating in the boxing tournament of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 comply with the competition’s eligibility and entry regulations, as well as all applicable medical regulations set by the Paris 2024 Boxing Unit,” it added.

Featured Image Credit: MOHD RASFAN/AFP via Getty Images/Fabio Bozzani/Anadolu via Getty Images

Topics: Boxing, Olympics, Sport, Imane Khelif

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Two Married at First Sight UK brides claim they were raped by on-screen husbands, BBC reportGetty StockBrooke Shields reflects on being made 'sex symbol' so young after starring in intimate scenes aged 11Dia Dipasupil/WireImageChris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughtersRJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty ImagesGTA 6 rumours are spiralling again - here’s everything we think could happen nextRockstar

Advert

  • Olympic boxer explains why she abandoned fight after opponent failed gender eligibility test
  • Imane Khelif wins Olympic quarter-final bout following controversy over failed gender eligibility test
  • Olympic boxer who abandoned fight against opponent who previously failed gender eligibility test speaks out
  • Olympic committee releases statement after boxer abandoned fight against opponent who failed gender eligibility test

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • RJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Chris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughters

    A judge described the killings as perhaps 'the most inhumane and vicious crime' he had seen.

    News
  • Facebook/James Broadanax
    2 hours ago

    Woman who married Death Row killer describes watching him be executed

    Tiana Krasniqi told how her 'brain couldn't comprehend what her eyes were seeing' as she witnessed James Broadnax's final moments

    News
  • Abdelg Alsayed/Anadolu via Getty Image
    2 hours ago

    PETA issues strong response after update on orcas 'left for dead' in abandoned marine park

    The animal rights group raised serious concerns about the 'abusement' park

    News
  • Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Why Dana White announced Conor McGregor's comeback fight during Francis Ngannou Netflix walkout

    The French-Cameroonian boxer simply said he 'doesn't care' as the UFC president made the move on Saturday

    News