ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter of hockey player Adam Johnson released on bail

Man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter of hockey player Adam Johnson released on bail

Adam Johnson died following an horrific incident during an ice hockey match

The suspect arrested in connection with the death of ice hockey player Adam Johnson has been released on bail.

Detectives working on the case confirmed the unnamed man was released this morning (15 November).

Johnson, 29, died following a tragic incident during Nottingham Panther's match against the Sheffield Steelers last month.

He was involved in a collision with another player, during which his throat was slashed.

As a result, the coroner involved with the case called on ice hockey's governing body to introduce more neck protection for players.

It was confirmed yesterday (14 November) that a man had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

The man arrested for the manslaughter of Adam Johnson has been released on bail.
Joe Sargent/NHLIGetty Images

Speaking following the development, South Yorkshire Police's Detective Chief Superintendent Rebecca Horsfall said: "Our investigation launched immediately following this tragedy and we have been carrying out extensive inquiries ever since to piece together the events which led to the loss of Adam in these unprecedented circumstances.

“We have been speaking to highly specialised experts in their field to assist in our inquiries and continue to work closely with the health and safety department at Sheffield City Council, which is supporting our ongoing investigation.

“Adam’s death has sent shockwaves through many communities, from our local residents here in Sheffield to ice hockey fans across the world

“We know these communities will expect us to handle this investigation with the same professionalism, fairness and sensitivity as any other and request that members of the public refrain from comment and speculation which could hinder this process.

The 29-year-old died following a shocking incident last month.
Joe Sargent/NHLIGetty Images

“Our thoughts remain with all affected by this devastating incident as inquiries continue.”

Johnson's family spoke out following the arrest.

His aunt Kari Johnson told The Sun from her home in Minnesota that she would wait to see what happens next.

She said: "We're just going to have to let it play out and see what happens.

"Whatever they'd decided, I would have had to live with it.

"But I'm just glad they are being diligent with doing what they're supposed to be doing."

Featured Image Credit: Joe Sargent/NHLIGetty Images

Topics: UK News, Crime