To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man who headbutted Roy Keane found guilty of assault

Man who headbutted Roy Keane found guilty of assault

He headbutted the football pundit at the Emirates Stadium in September last year

The man accused of headbutting Roy Keane has been found guilty of assault.

Scott Law went on trial last week after pleading not guilty to a charge of common assault.

The 43-year-old was accused of headbutting the football pundit at London's Emirates Stadium after Arsenal’s 3-1 victory over Manchester United on 3 September last year.

Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court heard that the incident kicked off when Keane and fellow Sky Sports star Micah Richards were walking to do the final match analysis.

And the former Irish football player was then headbutted by Law as he made his way through the doors.

Scott Law. (PA)
Scott Law. (PA)

The Essex man's defence team said that CCTV from inside the Emirates showed Keane elbowing him in the face. They also accused Richards of claiming to see the headbutt just because he was 'Roy's mate'.

The former Manchester City star denied this as well as claims he had become the Irishman's 'puppy' and 'stooge'.

Richards told the court how he 'grappled' with Law following the alleged incident and was in 'disbelief' at what he'd seen. He added that he 'felt sorry for Roy'.

Following the match in September, videos of the incident went viral as it seemed to show Keane stepping in to calm an apparent confrontation.

Law was sat beneath the Sky Sports studio during the match and described Keane as 'very animated' and 'angry' throughout the game, adding he had 'never really seen that behaviour from someone who was working' in there.

Roy Keane stood to the side of the two men. (X)
Roy Keane stood to the side of the two men. (X)

He told the court: “Mr Keane was puffing his cheeks out. He was right up against the glass. He was banging on the window.

“Mr Keane picked me out and started telling me to see him outside. He was pointing to doors in the box.”

Law said he went inside the stadium to go to the toilet and encountered Keane who 'collided into him'.

Prosecutor Simon Jones KC asked Law: “Are you seriously saying that Roy Keane ran into the top of your head?”

Law, who cried while being questioned, said: “I put my head down in a defensive manner to protect my face.”

Jones called Law's defence 'ridiculous' and said it had 'changed dramatically' from a prepared statement he gave to police the day after the incident.

When asked about the apparent differences in this statement, Law replied: “I’d had no sleep - I was guilty by media.

“It was the worst night of my life.”

Featured Image Credit: X

Topics: Football, Arsenal, Manchester United, Crime, Celebrity