• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Worker Records Then Walks Away From Teenagers Igniting Fireworks In Store

| Last updated 

Worker Records Then Walks Away From Teenagers Igniting Fireworks In Store

A group of teenagers set light to a fireworks display in a US shop, and an employee was captured on camera as he filmed the resulting blaze on his phone before walking away. Watch what happens here:


Footage was captured in a Hy-Vee grocery store in Eagan, Minnesota, on Monday afternoon, showing the employee as he filmed the chaotic scenes before calmly walking away.

Emergency services were called to the scene to find the store filled with smoke. Crews managed to put the fire out in the end, but it's still not known how much the damage will cost to repair.


Eagan Police Department spokesman Aaron Machtemes confirmed firefighters put out the flames and no one was injured.

Three teenage boys were arrested and released, police said. The boys, aged 14, 15 and 16, haven't been charged.

Twitter users sympathised with the store worker, with many taking to the social media platform to share their views.

One wrote: "I can guarantee you that whatever that employee was being paid, it was not worth putting that fire out.


"Some places also have policies that PREVENT employees from putting it out (probably to prevent them from being sued if the employee got hurt because of it)."

Another had been in a similar situation: "I love how this dude just walks away. Reminds me of when I worked at Media Play and the roof collapsed and started leaking. Just walked away like: 'Yep, I ain't paid to deal with this.' I quit the next day anyways."

Commenting on his relaxed demeanour as he walked away from the scene, someone else joked: "This kid is low key cool as hell."

Credit: Twitter
Credit: Twitter

Many seemed to praise the worker: "Having worked at a Hy-Vee myself, yeah you don't make anywhere near enough money to deal with that bulls***. Dude in front is a king and I hope he's doing well."

Another thought it's a disaster waiting to happen: "Really surprised doesn't happen more often, keeping explosives in accessible, flammable packing."

At least the teenagers responsible didn't decide to eat the fireworks, unlike a mum who mistook a packet for popping candy.

Lisa Boothroyd, from Rugby, Warwickshire, was left with chemical burns and a cracked tooth after she found the box of Fun Snaps among the sweets and snacks at her local Costcutter.

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

But when she threw a handful in her mouth back at home she quickly realised they weren't confectionery, with the small fireworks - also known as snappers or poppers - exploding in her mouth.

After spitting out the fireworks and swilling water, she called NHS Direct and was advised to seek medical attention.

She was subsequently prescribed strong painkillers following the incident, but said she couldn't sleep or eat properly afterwards - surviving on bread and mashed up Weetabix for more than a week.

Featured Image Credit: Twitter

Topics: US News, Weird

Amelia Ward
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Martin Lewis calls out government for 'load of bull' excuse over energy crisis

7 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

The World Excel Championship is being broadcast on ESPN and it's absolutely wild

2 days ago