Anthony Joshua’s driver charged over fatal crash that killed two close friends

Home> News> World News

breaking

Anthony Joshua’s driver charged over fatal crash that killed two close friends

Joshua was only discharged from hospital recently

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Anthony Joshua's driver has now officially been charged after this week's fatal car crash which tragically killed two of the boxer's close friends.

Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, 46, was charged at the Sagamu Magistrate Court on Friday. Police sources have suggested that the charges included causing death by dangerous driving.

Joshua was a passenger in a Lexus which crashed into a stationary van on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, known to be one of the busiest motorways in Nigeria, on 29 December.

The sportsman, fresh off his victory against Jake Paul in the money-spinning Netflix bout shortly before Christmas, suffered some minor injuries in the crash.

However, Sina Ghami, Joshua's sport and exercise rehabilitation coach, and Latif 'Latz' Ayodele, his personal trainer, were sadly killed in the crash.

Prosecutors have since brought four charges against Mr Kayode - causing death by dangerous driving, reckless and negligent driving, driving without due care, and driving without a valid driver's licence, as per the BBC.

The case has been adjourned until 20 January.

The Lagos state commissioner for information and strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, confirmed shortly before the new year that the Olympic gold medallist boxer had been discharged from hospital.

Omotoso stated: "Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital late this afternoon though heavy hearted and full of emotions over the loss of his two close friends he was deemed clinical fit to recuperate from home.

“Anthony and his mother were at the funeral home in Lagos this afternoon to pay their final respects to his two departed friends as they were being prepared for repatriation scheduled for later this evening,” he added.

Joshua's family also recently provided an update on the boxer's condition, as his uncle, Robert, said to The Sun: "We have not been allowed to see him, but from information given by authorities, he is responding to treatment."

Matchroom Boxing had previously released a statement confirming the deaths of Sina and Latz and giving an update on AJ's condition, saying: "Anthony Joshua was involved in a road traffic accident in Lagos, Nigeria, earlier today.

"With profound sadness it has been confirmed that two close friends and team members Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele have tragically passed away.

"Matchroom Boxing and 258 BXG can confirm that Anthony sustained injuries in the accident and was taken to hospital for checks and treatment. He is in a stable condition and will remain there for observation."

His recent opponent Jake Paul also said he was 'praying for the lost lives' after the 'unfortunate accident' on Monday.

Featured Image Credit: X

Topics: Anthony Joshua, Boxing, Crime, UK News, World News