ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Woman accused of murder through poisoned Christmas cake speaks out as police suggest motive
Home>News>World News
Updated 07:36 8 Jan 2025 GMTPublished 07:28 8 Jan 2025 GMT

Woman accused of murder through poisoned Christmas cake speaks out as police suggest motive

Deise Moura has issued a statement for the first time since being arrested

Joshua Nair

Joshua Nair

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A woman accused of murder through a poisoned Christmas cake has spoken out for the first time.

Three women died in Brazil after eating a traditional homemade 'Bolo de Natal' Christmas cake prepared by 61-year-old Zeli Terezinha Silva dos Anjos as they celebrated the festive season together.

Zeli's niece, Tatiana Denize Silva dos Anjos, 43, and sisters, Maida Berenice Flores da Silva, 58, and Neuza Denize Silva dos Anjos, 65, were victims of the case after eating the cake on 23 December last year.

While Tatiana and Maida died of cardiac arrests, Neuza died from a 'shock after poisoning'. A police investigation found traces of the poisonous arsenic in Neuza and two surviving family members.

Advert

Zeli's sisters died after eating the cake (Facebook)
Zeli's sisters died after eating the cake (Facebook)

But it has recently been reported by the Mail this month that Zeli's daughter-in-law, Deise Moura, 42, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

Torres police chief, Marcus Vinicius Veloso, said that she had been apprehended at her home on Sunday (5 January), stating: "The woman was arrested for triple homicide and a triple attempted homicide.

"She was taken initially to a police station at Canoas, then to Torres police station, and is now in the women’s jail in the city. At this moment we cannot say anything else."

Authorities confirmed that the flour used to create the cake had 'extremely high concentrations' of arsenic, which can be lethal.

They also found Google searches for 'arsenic' and similar terms on Deise's phone in the weeks leading up to the cake being baked.

Now, she has spoken up, and claimed that she has done nothing wrong.

In a statement issued to the media, read by lawyer Cassyus Pontes, she said that a lot has been left unanswered.

Pontes said: "Everything’s all very preliminary. There are still questions to be answered. What is the causal link between the poison and Deise? There is no explanation of how the flour ended up in Zeli's house, or where or how it was acquired.

"These are minimal questions to indicate the authorship of the facts. Instead, all we have are the accounts of some family members and a supposed extraction of data from a mobile phone," the statement concluded.

The cake contained lethal amounts of arsenic (Divulgação/Polícia Civil)
The cake contained lethal amounts of arsenic (Divulgação/Polícia Civil)

Forensic experts theorised that the arsenal was added on purpose, as Veloso explained in a press conference: "We suspect the individual arrested entered Zeli’s house and then contaminated the flour."

Because of this incident, Zeli's late husband's body was exhumed, as he died of food poisoning earlier in the year.

Reports state that police are investigating an alleged 20-year dispute between Zeli and other members of the family, which could have been a potential motive.

"Deise never hid the fact that she had disagreements with her mother-in-law. She had already mentioned it to the Civil Police in a statement. I was surprised by the preventive custody request," Mr Pontes revealed.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, regional security minister Sandro Caron said: “We have very strong indications that the person who has been arrested is the perpetrator.

"Some details cannot yet be disclosed so as not to hinder the continuity of the investigation, but we have obtained very good information pointing to the person who was arrested yesterday being the perpetrator and acting maliciously."

Deise is now set to appear in court for a custody hearing on Monday, 13 January.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Stock Photo / Divulgação/Polícia Civil

Topics: Crime, Food And Drink, World News, Christmas

Joshua Nair
Joshua Nair

Joshua Nair is a journalist at LADbible. Born in Malaysia and raised in Dubai, he has always been interested in writing about a range of subjects, from sports to trending pop culture news. After graduating from Oxford Brookes University with a BA in Media, Journalism and Publishing, he got a job freelance writing for SPORTbible while working in marketing before landing a full-time role at LADbible. Unfortunately, he's unhealthily obsessed with Manchester United, which takes its toll on his mental and physical health. Daily.

X

@joshnair10

Recommended reads

Woman with boobs so big she can’t play with son or get surgery on NHS shares upsetting realityGoFundMeVenezuela Fury’s next move ‘revealed’ as she’s set to move out of £8 million mansion(Instagram/@venezuelaprice1)Katie Price ‘mortified’ over claim as husband Lee Andrews ‘officially declared missing person’Instagram/@wesleeeandrewsGina Carano earned an absolute fortune for her 17-second MMA fight with Ronda RouseyGetty

Advert

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
15 hours ago
  • GoFundMe
    15 mins ago

    Woman with boobs so big she can’t play with son or get surgery on NHS shares upsetting reality

    Charlotte Innes, 24, claims she's been denied breast reduction surgery five times

    News
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Gina Carano earned an absolute fortune for her 17-second MMA fight with Ronda Rousey

    Ronda Rousey may have secured the win but they both secured the bag

    News
  • Police handout
    6 hours ago

    Mum of toddler who went missing in Greece 35 years ago told UK police will no longer investigate the disappearance

    Ben Needham vanished from the Greek island of Cos in 1991

    News
  • JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images
    15 hours ago

    Trump met with huge blow to White House ballroom plans after $1 billion proposal

    Money is being sought for security upgrades to the ballroom

    News
  • Woman explains bizarre Mounjaro 'side effect' after cocktails made her feel 'poisoned'
  • Celebrations makes major change to Advent calendar after being accused of 'ruining Christmas'
  • Disturbing internet search history of woman accused of killing ex-husband's family with 'death mushrooms' in meal
  • Doctor's warning as 1 in 10 on weight loss drugs to stop taking medication over Christmas