ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’
Home>News>World News
Updated 09:15 21 May 2026 GMT+1Published 08:58 21 May 2026 GMT+1

Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’

The group failed to resurface from the 'challenging' underwater expedition they embarked on last Thursday

Olivia Burke

Olivia Burke

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

An expert suspects the five divers who died while exploring underwater caves in the Maldives might have been sucked inside by a 'formidable' force.

What went down during the deadly dive last week currently remains a mystery, although several chilling theories have been put forward while the official investigation gets underway.

Monica Montefalcone, a University of Genoa ecology professor, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, research fellow Muriel Oddenino, marine biology graduate Federico Gualtieri, and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti all perished in the tragedy which took place last Thursday (14 May).

The group had dove down to the Thinwana Kandu cave system, which is also known as 'shark cave' among locals.

Advert

All five of the victims bodies have now been recovered from the ater (AP)
All five of the victims bodies have now been recovered from the ater (AP)

Divers have since recovered all of the victims bodies, with officials saying that four of them were found 'pretty much together' in a 60-metre-deep cave in Vaavu Atoll, which is twice the legal depth for recreational diving in the island nation.

The search had been temporarily suspended after a local military diver, Staff Seargeant Mohamed Mahdhee, died during a previous retrieval attempt.

Maldives government spokesman Ahmed Shaam explained the conditions below the surface were 'challenging', due to tough terrain, strong currents and poor visibility.

The rescue team used closed-circuit rebreathers - which is a system that recycles exhaled breathing gas and removes carbon dioxide through a chemical scrubber - allowing for 'significantly longer dives'.

The five experienced divers had entered the water on Thursday morning to assess the complex underwater cave system, but failed to resurface.

Professor Monica Montefalcone died alongside her daughter, two researchers and a diving instructor (University of Genoa)
Professor Monica Montefalcone died alongside her daughter, two researchers and a diving instructor (University of Genoa)

Local experts and foreign divers have previously ventured inside the cave, presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said, who warned it is a 'very challenging dive'.

"Number one, because of the depth," he told the Associated Press. "Number two, because of actual terrain.

"That specific channel has strong currents, strong downdrafts down toward, and the conditions down there, the visibility, for example, once you enter the cave would be almost zero."

Now, the president of the Italian Society of Underwater and Hyperbaric Medicine has shared his chilling theory about what might have gone wrong during the expedition in the Maldives.

Alfonso Bolognini reckons that the group might have been 'sucked into' the caves by a super strong current before running out of oxygen as they fought to escape.

Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti also died during the scuba trip (Albatros Top Boat)
Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti also died during the scuba trip (Albatros Top Boat)

Sharing his hypothesis with Adnkronos, the underwater expert explained that he made his assumption after considering the description of the underwater conditions by rescue divers.

"They first sent a ROV [remotely operated vehicle] to the entrance of the caves," Bolognini said. "They couldn't get it in due to the very strong currents, and they had to go there themselves."

He explained that the Finnish divers, deployed by the Divers’ Alert Network Europe, had sent him a 'diagram of the site' which illustrated the 'three chambers, an entrance, and an exit'.

After weighing up the layout, the expert believes that a 'formidable Venturi effect' could have been created while the fivesome were diving.

The Venturi effect refers to the drop in pressure which occurs when fluid flows through a constricted or narrow area - like the narrow entrance to the cave system - that subsequently creates a vacuum.

Mapping out the rest of his theory, Bolognini continued: "Two things could have happened after the suction. Either everyone was sucked in, or one was sucked in and the others attempted to rescue them."

Muriel Oddenino was also one of the victims (Facebook/Muriel Oddenino)
Muriel Oddenino was also one of the victims (Facebook/Muriel Oddenino)

He noted that the 'professionalism' of those involved in the dive also supported this argument, as they were 'highly trained'.

"It was probably an 'observational' survey to then dive at a later time to explore the caves, and instead they were sucked in," Bolognini then mused.

"With that level of knowledge, it is unthinkable to go so deep without the necessary preparation for that type of exploration.

"They were probably at the end of the dive, they were there for the coral reef, the caves were not the objective.

"They decided to make this dive a little deeper to view the entrance, they were sucked into a probably dark environment, with zero visibility even for finning, in a state of great disorientation, probably due to panic .

"In the desperate search for the way out, they probably also ran out of air. But this is, according to me, a fairly reliable reconstruction of what happened."

Featured Image Credit: YouTube

Topics: World News, News, Science

Olivia Burke
Olivia Burke

Olivia is a journalist at LADbible Group with more than five years of experience and has worked for a number of top publishers, including News UK. She also enjoys writing food reviews (as well as the eating part). She is a stereotypical reality TV addict, but still finds time for a serious documentary.

X

@livburke_

Recommended reads

Venezuela Fury's bridesmaid hits back at criticism after selling dress days after weddingTikTok/@libbypeatKatie Price issues huge fear over missing husband Lee Andrews in emotional new pleaInstagramNationwide customers finally get £100 payout and you only need to match two criteriaKaty Blackwood/NurPhoto via Getty ImagesDodgy Fire Stick users are being identified and given two week legal action warningMichael Nagle/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

14 hours ago
16 hours ago
18 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    14 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    16 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    18 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    18 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking

  • Archaeologists make chilling discovery inside Mayan ‘Blood Cave’
  • Five tourists tragically die in 160ft cave diving accident including mum and daughter
  • Terrifying virtual tour shows inside the cave man died 'worst death imaginable'
  • Police discover Russian woman living ‘peaceful life’ with daughters inside cave