Sophie Turner is suing Joe Jonas over their two children as divorce battle heats up
| Last updated
Actor Sophie Turner is suing ex Joe Jonas over their two daughters, requesting they be returned to England, according to documents filed in a Manhattan court on Thursday and obtained by Page Six.
The lawsuit alleges the former couple's two children - aged three and one - are being 'wrongfully retained' in New York City, adding that Turner is seeking 'the immediate return of children wrongfully removed or wrongfully retained'.
Turner claims that the pair had previously agreed to settle down in England and would start the process of looking for a school for their eldest daughter.
The couple ended up finding their dream home in the UK and officially relocated from Miami to England in April this year, the documents state.
According the lawsuit, the parents had agreed on a 'temporary arrangement' in which their daughters would travel with Jonas - who had just gone on tour - as he had more free time than Turner.
The documents explain: “The children would then at least be able to spend some time during the day with one of their parents until the Mother finished her filming commitments."
However, following the 'sudden' breakdown of their marriage, the suit alleges that Jonas is withholding the children's passports.
“The Father has possession of the children’s passports,” the documents allege. “He refuses to return the passports to the Mother and refuses to send the children home to England with the Mother.”
The announcement, posted to Instagram on 6 September, read: "Statement from the two of us: After four wonderful years of marriage we have mutually decided to amicably end our marriage.
"There are many speculative narratives as to why but, truly this is a united decision and we sincerely hope that everyone can respect our wishes for privacy for us and our children."
The two were first romantically linked back in 2016 and just a year later, in October 2017, they confirmed their engagement.
Jonas filed the divorce papers at the Miami Dade County Court on 5 September, with NBC News reporting that the 'Sucker' singer said their marriage is 'irretrievably broken'.
He also added that the pair 'have shared parental responsibility' over their children as well as a prenuptial agreement.
A spokesperson for Joe Jonas told LADbible Group: "After multiple conversations with Sophie, Joe initiated divorce proceedings in Florida, as Florida is the appropriate jurisdiction for the case. Sophie was aware that Joe was going to file for divorce. The Florida Court has already entered an order that restricts both parents from relocating the children. Sophie was served with this order on September 6, 2023, more than two weeks ago.
“Joe and Sophie had a cordial meeting this past Sunday in New York, when Sophie came to New York to be with the kids. They have been with her since that meeting. Joe’s impression of the meeting was that they had reached an understanding that they would work together towards an amicable co-parenting setup.
“Less than 24 hours later, Sophie advised that she wanted to take the children permanently to the UK. Thereafter, she demanded via this filing that Joe hand over the children’s passports so that she could take them out of the country immediately. If he complies, Joe will be in violation of the Florida Court order.
“Joe is seeking shared parenting with the kids so that they are raised by both their mother and father, and is of course also okay with the kids being raised both in the U.S. and the UK. The children were born in the U.S. and have spent the vast majority of their lives in the U.S. They are American citizens.
“This is an unfortunate legal disagreement about a marriage that is sadly ending. When language like “abduction” is used, it is misleading at best, and a serious abuse of the legal system at worst. The children were not abducted. After being in Joe’s care for the past three months at the agreement of both parties, the children are currently with their mother. Sophie is making this claim only to move the divorce proceedings to the UK and to remove the children from the U.S. permanently.
“Joe has already disavowed any and all statements purportedly made on his behalf that were disparaging of Sophie. They were made without his approval and are not consistent with his views. His wish is that Sophie reconsider her harsh legal position and move forward in a more constructive and private manner. His only concern is the well-being of his children.”