ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Archie Battersbee's Parents File Last Minute Appeal Moments Before Life-Support Due To End
Home>News
Updated 12:54 2 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 12:47 2 Aug 2022 GMT+1

breaking

Archie Battersbee's Parents File Last Minute Appeal Moments Before Life-Support Due To End

Archie was left unconscious after suffering traumatic brain injuries in April

Emily Brown

Emily Brown

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Archie Battersbee's parents have filed a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court just moments before his life support was set to be switched off.

Doctors had previously said they would withdraw the child's treatment 12pm today (2 August), but since the appeal has been made, staff at the Royal London Hospital are waiting for the direction from the court.

Archie, 12, was found unconscious at his home in Southend, Essex in April after suffering traumatic brain injuries and has not regained consciousness since.

He has been receiving life support at the Whitechapel hospital in east London, but a High Court judge ruled last month he should be allowed to die.

Advert

Archie's parents have fought repeatedly to continue his treatment.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

Archie's mother, Hollie Dance, has fought repeatedly against the decision to turn off her son's life support by appealing the High Court ruling and writing to the government and the United Nations.

She claimed withdrawing his treatment would be a 'flagrant breach' of Archie's rights, with her efforts prompting the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities (CRPD) to request that Archie could be kept alive so it could consider his case.

The UK court of appeal met to consider the request on Monday (1 August) just hours before Archie's life support was originally due to be turned off, but it ultimately refused to postpone the withdrawal any further than 12pm Tuesday (2 August).

A High Court judge previously ruled Archie should be allowed to die.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

Sir Andrew McFarlane, sitting with two other judges, explained the court's decision as he said: “Every day that [Archie] continues to be given life-sustaining treatment is against his best interests.

"I concluded that there should be no stay other than a short stay for the parents to take stock and consider whether they want to make any further application to the supreme court.”

After the verdict, Dance insisted she and Archie's father, Paul Battersbee, would challenge the ruling.

She commented: "We made a promise to Archie, we will fight to the end. And Archie’s still fighting.

"If [Tuesday’s] the last day then so be it, but we will be applying to the supreme court.”

Doctors at Royal London Hospital say continuing treatment isn't in Archie's best interests.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

The mother previously stressed that she would 'never give up' on her son as long as he is alive, adding: "He is too good to give up on."

"When he is to die, we believe it should be in God’s way and in God’s time," she continued. "What is the rush? Why is the hospital and the courts so keen to push this through as fast as possible?

"I don’t believe there is anything ‘dignified’ about planning Archie’s death. For me, this would be the most traumatic outcome."

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital have said Archie is brain-stem dead, insisting continued life-support treatment is not in his best interests.

Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer at Barts Health NHS Trust, expressed sympathy to Archie's family but made clear the hospital would continue with plans to withdraw treatment today (August 2) 'unless directed otherwise'.

Featured Image Credit: PA/Alamy

Topics: UK News, Health, Politics

Emily Brown
Emily Brown

Emily Brown is the Community Desk Lead at LADbible Group. Emily first began delivering news when she was just 11 years old - with a paper route. She went on to graduate with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University before contributing to The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Student Problems. She joined UNILAD in 2018 to cover breaking news, trending stories and longer form features, and now works as Community Desk Lead to commission and write human interest stories from across the globe.

Recommended reads

Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘made chilling boast’ before going missingInstagram/WesleeeAndrewsGTA 6 may be unplayable for millions at launch with key decision neededRockstarWoman with vagina in 'world's top 1%' doing $2m a year experiment avoids tampons 'at all costs'Kate ToloMan who ran 10,000 miles and completed 109,600 push-ups, sit-ups, and squats shows off insane transformationX

Advert

  • Archie Battersbee's Family Denied Last Minute Appeal To Stop Removal Of 12-Year-Old’s Life Support
  • Priscilla Presley had heartbreaking thought moments before turning off daughter’s life-support
  • Archie Battersbee's Family Win Appeal To Have Life-Support Ruling Reconsidered
  • Alan Brazil explains emotional TalkSPORT absence after 'life-saving' emergency operation

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
16 hours ago
18 hours ago
20 hours ago
  • YouTube
    3 hours ago

    Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’

    The group failed to resurface from the 'challenging' underwater expedition they embarked on last Thursday

    News
  • Grapevine Police
    16 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    18 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    20 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News