Brooklyn Beckham left with tears streaming down after completing ‘one chip challenge’
| Last updated
Brooklyn Beckham was left with tears streaming down his face after completing the viral 'one chip challenge'. Check it out:
For the uninitiated, the 'one chip challenge' involves eating one of Paqui's tortilla chips that are made with insanely hot seasoning. We're talking Carolina Reaper and Scorpion Peppers.
And if that weren't spicy enough, the aim of the game is to wait as long possible before eating or drinking anything.
The company's website states: "Eat the entire chip. Wait as long as possible before drinking or eating anything.
"Post your reaction on social media with #onechipchallenge and mention @paquichips."
Although its proved a hit over on TikTok where the hashtag has amassed over one billion views, reports have since started emerging of kids being left with stomach pains and difficulty breathing after taking part.
Some were even sent to hospital, leading to experts warning parents and schools not to let children try the challenge.
So while some people praised Brooklyn for his spicy display, others criticised his decision to promote the stunt.
As said by one commenter (all in caps): "DO NOT EAT THESE CHIPS!! I’VE HAD 7 KIDS IN MY ER BECAUSE OF THOSE CHIPS. THERES A SURGEON GENERALS WARNING ON THOSE. WAY TO PROMOTE THAT!"
Another wrote underneath the warning, "I've seen 3 cardiac arrests."
Although one person chimed in to say that the packets 'clearly state they're for adults only', the first commenter replied, "You assumed these were all kids?"
They continued: "Biggest thing is anal bleeding and leakage. I’ve had ppl who have lost taste completely.
"Worst cardiac arrest bc some ppl can’t breathe and we’ve gotta put them on a ventilator."
Sounds like Brooklyn's eyes aren't going to be the only thing that's left leaking from the challenge.
Joking aside, Paqui also serves a stark warning to those who want to take part, stating: "Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades, or capsaicin, or are pregnant or have any medical conditions."
As well as urging to keep out of reach of children, it says to seek medical assistance if you experience difficulty breathing, fainting or extended nausea after eating the chip.
Last month, Jennifer Hines, chief communications officer for Tyler Independent School District in Texas, told Today that three middle school students were hospitalised after attempting the viral challenge.
She said: "This social media challenge has been around for a few years now and is still causing a safety and security issue for our students.
"We had another student taken to the hospital in 2021. Parents, please speak with your children about the seriousness of what could happen when they try to do these social media challenges.
"We love your children and want them to be safe and healthy."
Her message reflects similar sentiments shared by other schools and doctors across the country.
In short, best stick to the Doritos – or you could risk more than a few tears.