Son reveals heartbreaking last text from his mum after she died from suspected poisonous mushrooms
| Last updated
A son has revealed the heartbreaking last text from his mother - who along with his father - died from suspected mushroom poising.
Parents Gail and Don Patterson both died at the age of 70 after they ate a meal on 29 July which police believe may have contained death cap mushrooms, although the official toxicology report is still pending.
Patterson had invited her former in-laws along with Mrs Patterson's sister, Heather Wilkinson, 66, and her husband Reverend Ian Wilkinson, 68, to the meal.
The four guests all fell seriously ill and were sent to hospital.
Mrs Wilkinson and Mrs Patterson both passed away on 4 August, and Mr Patterson died the following day (5 August).
Mr Wilkinson remains in hospital and is said to be in a critical but stable condition.
Their son Simon has since revealed his mum's last words from hospital.
She simply wrote: "Lots of love to you all."
Simon said: "The fact [Don and Gail] died on consecutive days is fitting in some ways, as it reflects their togetherness as a couple that they always worked so hard to grow.
"They acknowledged life’s transience and death’s reality as something that is not right about the world and very sad, but also knew that death is not final.
"They would always wave goodbye when they parted ways. It was partly because one day would be the last wave."
He added: "As Mum and Dad lay in comas in the hospital in their final days and each day… we were unsure if they would recover or not, it was comforting to know that when we said: ‘See you later,’ we knew it was true.
"The only thing we didn’t know was when. In the meantime, we’ll miss them."
Suspect Erin Patterson has insisted she had nothing to do with the deaths of her former in-laws.
She said she also fell ill after eating the meal and was rushed to hospital and given a 'liver protective drug'.
She said: "I had a deep love and respect for Simon's parents and had encouraged my children to spend time with their grandparents as I believed they were exceptional role models.
"I am now devastated to think that these mushrooms may have contributed to the illness suffered by my loved ones. I really want to repeat that I had absolutely no reason to hurt these people whom I loved."
LADbible has contacted Victoria Police for comment as the investigation remains ongoing.