| Last updated
When it's thundering and lightning outside, the general rule is to just stay inside and out of the way. But that's not always practical, as Romulus McNeill found out when he walked around the school he works at.
Sheltered by his umbrella, Mr McNeill made a run for his car through the rainstorm when he was struck by a bolt of lightning, resulting in him dropping his brolly on the ground.
The guidance counsellor, who works at the Academy for Technology and Academics in Conway, South Carolina, was heading for his car when his umbrella was hit causing him to let go of it immediately and jump away.
He then moves back towards it, picks it up and runs to the car park for safety. After all, a car is supposed to be the safest place to be...
Speaking to WMBF, Mr McNeill said: "I took a chance and I said, 'I hope I don't get struck by lightning'. I felt a shock. It was just kind of insane for it to happen like that. I was just trying to get home and get something to eat."
He posted the video of the surveillance footage on to Facebook with the caption: "Cameras caught my crazy experience with lightning. Supa thankful to have been able to motor scoot out of there without major injures."
Responding to someone asking whether he felt the shock, he said: "It jolted me honey. I just knew I was done," adding: "It was soooo loud and scared the heck out of me."
Commenting on the video, one of Mr McNeill's followers said: "I am so glad you are okay Rome. How lucky you are to not be injured really bad. Take care friend. Now go buy a lottery ticket because the chances of you winning are the same as getting struck by lightning. You've got one down."
Another wrote: "Wow, you need to buy a lottery ticket cause today is your day!" With a third commenting: "Im glad you are ok, but i would have left that umbrella."
Just days ago, a woman in Port Charlotte, Florida, got the shock of her life when her septic tank was hit by lightning, shattering her toilet across the bathroom.
Marylou Ward said the lightning striking was the loudest sound she'd ever heard, as the bolt hit the home's septic tank and set off a chain reaction that totally destroyed their pipes and toilet.
Speaking to WINK News, Ward said: "I'm just glad none of us were on the toilet. That's the main thing."
Point well made.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read