Man Declared Dead Shocks Family When He's Still Breathing After Night In Morgue Freezer

| Last updated 

Man Declared Dead Shocks Family When He's Still Breathing After Night In Morgue Freezer

A man in India who was declared dead after being hit by a motorbike has shocked relatives after they found him still breathing - even though he'd spent a night stuffed in a freezer at a hospital morgue. Yep, truly the stuff of nightmares.

Srikesh Kumar was involved in a road accident in Moradabad, a city east of the Indian capital New Delhi, and was rushed to a clinic in critical condition.

After being transported to a private medical facility, the 45-year-old was declared dead upon arrival by a doctor after displaying no 'signs of life'.

He was then taken to a government hospital for a post-mortem on Friday 19 November.


However, not everything was as it seemed, as it turned out the poor bloke was very much still alive, and that the doctor had somehow been mistaken.

Stock image. Credit: Alamy
Stock image. Credit: Alamy

Rajendra Kumar, the hospital's medical superintendent, told AFP on Sunday (21 November): "The emergency medical officer examined him.

"He did not find any signs of life and hence declared him dead."


Dr Kumar said police were informed of what happened, and the patient's body was stored in a morgue freezer at the hospital until his family arrived six hours later to what must have been the shock of their lives.

He added: "When a police team and his family came over to initiate the paperwork for the autopsy, he was found alive."

Dr Kumar said the man was still in coma, and was undergoing further treatment.

"This is nothing short of a miracle," he said.


An investigation is now underway to try and determine how medics mistakenly declared the man dead.

Last year, another person found himself in a similar situation when he was presumed to be dead and taken to a morgue, only to suddenly regain consciousness as hospital staff sliced his leg open to begin the embalming process.


Peter Kigen, who is from Kenya, had been pronounced dead four hours prior, having collapsed with what was believed to have been a 'stomach ailment'.


His family rushed him to hospital, where they were given the devastating news that he'd passed away long before getting to hospital.

Kigen's uncle Denis Langat claims his nephew regained consciousness and 'wailed in pain' after the mortuary staff made an incision in his leg to start the embalming process, Citizen TV reported at the time.

Speaking to reporters from his hospital bed, Kigen said: "I cannot believe what just happened. How did they establish that I was dead?

"I did not even know where I was when I regained consciousness, but I thank God for sparing my life. I will serve him for the rest of my life."


Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: World News, News, India

Jess Hardiman
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Jeremy Clarkson Shares Advert For New Beer That Was 'Too Offensive' For TV

20 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Men Who Vape Twice As Likely To Suffer From Erectile Dysfunction, Study Finds

3 days ago