• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
GoFundMe page for 11-year-old girl who lost family in tragic car crash reaches £400,000 as carer shares update

Home> News> UK News

Updated 09:51 13 Oct 2024 GMT+1Published 09:32 13 Oct 2024 GMT+1

GoFundMe page for 11-year-old girl who lost family in tragic car crash reaches £400,000 as carer shares update

Poppie Morgan-Roller was orphaned following the tragedy in July this year

Olivia Burke

Olivia Burke

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A fundraiser set up for an 11-year-old girl who tragically lost her family in what police described as a 'truly horrendous collision' has received more than £400,000 in donations.

Poppie Morgan-Roller was orphaned after her parents Shane Roller and Shannen Morgan were killed in a horror car crash on the A61 near Wakefield, UK, on 21 July, along with her two sisters, Lillie, four, and Rubie, nine.

The family were heading out for a walk when their Ford Focus collided with a motorcycle ridden by Christopher Barton, 56 and his wife Janine, 48, who were also fatally injured.

Poppie, meanwhile, was playing at the home of family friend Paul Hepple, 37, after deciding she didn't want to join them on the outing and was about to have a Sunday dinner when the tragic news came through over a phone call.

Advert

Paul later set up a GoFundMe for the school girl to raise funds to help with her 'well-being, including her living expenses, education, and any counselling she may need' in wake of the tragedy.

The family were tragically killed in the crash (GoFundMe/PA)
The family were tragically killed in the crash (GoFundMe/PA)

The software developer vowed to stand by Poppie and ensure she has a 'stable, loving environment where she can heal and grow'.

Now, 12 weeks on from that fateful day, Paul has issued an update while also thanking people for their generosity after an 'astonishing' amount of money was raised for her.

The GoFundMe page had quickly surpassed it's £3,000 goal within a matter of days, but it has now been closed after reaching an incredible £408,207.

Paul praised the community for their kindness, saying those close to the Morgan-Roller family had been overwhelmed by the 'outpouring of love and support' Poppie has received.

He wrote: "There have been 22.5 thousand donations from people all over the world. Donations are now closed, as the amount raised is far beyond what anyone could have expected. It’s truly remarkable."

A GoFundMe has raised over £400,000 for Poppie's future (GoFundMe/PA)
A GoFundMe has raised over £400,000 for Poppie's future (GoFundMe/PA)

'Not a single penny' has been touched so far, Paul said, but the staggering amount of cash for Poppie's future is set to be placed into a trust fund and her aunt Faye has been added as a beneficiary to handle the transfer.

Discussing Poppie's progress, he said: "Poppie is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

"Poppie and her Aunt, Faye, have also received invaluable support from Brake, the road safety charity, who have been instrumental in helping them manage the legal side of things and providing guidance."

He added: "Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your continued kindness, patience, and support. Your generosity has not only secured Poppie’s future but has also brought light during a very dark time."

The police investigation into the deadly crash remains ongoing.

As a result, an inquest into the tragedy has been postponed to a future date which is still yet to be determined.

Featured Image Credit: GoFundMe/PA

Topics: UK News, Parenting, GoFundMe, Community

Olivia Burke
Olivia Burke

Olivia is a journalist at LADbible Group with more than five years of experience and has worked for a number of top publishers, including News UK. She also enjoys writing food reviews (as well as the eating part). She is a stereotypical reality TV addict, but still finds time for a serious documentary.

X

@livburke_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

8 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • The US Justice Department / Handout / Anadolu via Getty Images
    8 mins ago

    Jeffrey Epstein’s disturbing Amazon orders revealed in files

    The Epstein files show 1,006 Amazon receipts from 2014 to 2019

    News
  • Kennedy News and Media
    2 hours ago

    Fish and Rice Cake guy regrets spending £117,000 on tattoos over dark comparisons

    Danny Andrews said he is constantly 'trolled' about his inkings

    News
  • (Alex Pantling/Getty Images)
    2 hours ago

    Olympic Committee defends selling shirts showing ‘Nazi propaganda’

    The inclusion of posters used to promote games held in Nazi Germany in the new Olympic heritage collection has caused controversy

    News
  • Instagram/Savannah Guthrie
    2 hours ago

    Savannah Guthrie issues desperate plea to mum's kidnapper in new video appeal 2 weeks since disappearance

    Nancy Guthrie, mother of TODAY host Savannah Guthrie, was taken from her home during the night on February 1

    News
  • Family of British mum whose ‘heart went missing’ in mysterious death share update after reaching fund target
  • Family outraged after neighbour destroys five-year-old boy’s snowman with shovel
  • Family of Brits killed in Lisbon tram crash share heartbreak as officials issue update on cause
  • Family of US woman found living in Scottish forest with self-proclaimed leaders of lost ‘African’ tribe speak out