Andrew released under investigation following arrest as police release statement

Home> News> UK News

Andrew released under investigation following arrest as police release statement

The former Royal prince was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office on Thursday

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has officially been released under investigation following this morning's arrest.

Thames Valley Police issued an update on the former prince's situation after he was taken into custody this morning (19 February) following a ‘thorough assessment’ of claims of misconduct in public office.

The statement read: "Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.

"On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"The arrested man has now been released under investigation.

"We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded."

Police are still searching Prince Andrew's former home the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire.

He was stripped of his titles by his brother King Charles last October (ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images)
He was stripped of his titles by his brother King Charles last October (ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images)

The 66-year-old, who was arrested on his birthday, was spotted returning to Norfolk earlier this evening with photographers capturing him attempting to avoid attention in the back of a car as he returned home from Aylsham police station.

He was first reported to Thames Valley Police on 9 February in relation to allegations that he shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein as trade envoy following the publication of the Epstein files, with three million more pages relating to the disgraced financier released at the end of last month.

When his arrest was first confirmed, Thames Valley Police said: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk."

Police are continuing to search Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former home in Berkshire (PA)
Police are continuing to search Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former home in Berkshire (PA)

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."

King Charles has also spoken out in the wake of his younger brother's initial arrest, having previously stripped him of his royal titles, suggesting that 'the law must take its course'.

Media gathered around the former prince's address following his arrest this morning (Muhammed Yaylalı/Anadolu via Getty Images)
Media gathered around the former prince's address following his arrest this morning (Muhammed Yaylalı/Anadolu via Getty Images)

=A written statement from King Charles reads: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

Featured Image Credit: Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

Topics: Royal Family, Crime