Protein shakes 'should have health warnings' after teen's death, coroner says
| Last updated
A coroner is calling for protein shakes to have 'prominent' warnings on them in the wake of a 16-year-old's death.
Rohan Godhania became unwell in 2020 after drinking a protein shake and tragically died just three days later.
Protein powders and shakes are most commonly consumed by gym-goers who are trying to build muscle.
The disease prevents the breakdown of ammonia, causing it to build up to lethal levels in the bloodstream, and can be triggered by a protein load.
Now, Tom Osborne, the senior coroner for Milton Keynes, has now written to NHS England and the Food Standards Agency calling on them to add 'prominent' warnings on protein shake packaging.
As per The Telegraph, Osborne said the supplements are 'easily accessible the public' and that current packaging fails to 'adequately inform consumers'.
There are also worries that deaths like Rohan's could happen again.
Corner's concerns written in the Rohan Godhania: Prevention of future deaths report, which was published last week, read: "In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths could occur unless action is taken."
Rohan had been admitted to West Middlesex Hospital on 16 August, 2020, but his hyperammonemia OTC deficiency were not diagnosed.
Neurologists advised the teenager was tested ammonia poisoning, but this was reportedly ignored at the hospital he was treated at.
Osborne went on to label this as a 'lost opportunity' as it may have prevented the 16-year-old's untimely death.
Rohan's mum, Pushpa Godhania, is also calling for more warnings to be shown on protein drinks.
"They should put a warning on there that if anybody ends up vomiting as a result of [drinking] it and starts feeling unwell they should immediately get emergency attention," she said, as per BBC News.
"If we just say 'if you feel very sick and you're vomiting as a result of this, ask for an ammonia test' - put it into some very simple language - that would help."
In regards to Rohan being tested for ammonia poisoning, Pushpa claimed the hospital was 'reluctant' to do it.
"I think it is about time that this test is now used in emergency departments and I hope NHS England are putting in good measures," she added.
In light of Rohan's passing and the inquest, a spokesperson from Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation has shared their condolences with his family.
They said: "The trust notes the outcome of this inquest. We offer our sincere condolences to the family of Rohan Godhania."
LADbible are on WhatsApp! We've launched a dedicated news channel to send you the latest news, features and plenty more directly on WhatsApp - all you need to do to sign up is click through to our one-way broadcast channel HERE for 'LADbible News' to appear in the 'Updates' tab on your WhatsApp.