Rinat Akhmetov, the richest man in Ukraine, has pledged to help rebuild his home country - in particular the besieged city of Mariupol, which has suffered weeks of shelling from the Russians.
It has been almost two months since Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine under the guise of a 'special military operation' to 'de-nazify' and 'demilitarise' the country.
Kyiv and Ukraine's supporters are clear that Putin's stated goals are flimsy excuses for an unprovoked Russian attack on their neighbouring country, which was previously ruled from Moscow during the times of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union and has been an independent country for decades.
Since the invasion began on February 24 thousands have been killed, many of them civilians, and millions forced to flee their homes in the face of Russian aggression.
The Daily Mail reports that Akhmetov has vowed that he will help rebuild the damage done to his country when the time comes to repair what was broken by Putin's troops.
The billionaire's portfolio of businesses include Metinvest, the largest steelmaker in Ukraine, and football team Shakhtar Donetsk.
They also report than since the beginning of the Russo - Ukrainian war in 2014 his net worth has dropped from $15.4 billion to $3.9 billion.
While still an impressive sum, it will only be a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of repairing the damage Russia has done to Ukraine as officials estimate that the damage done by Putin's invasion is now over $1 trillion.
Akhmetov has called on Western nations to help Ukraine once the war is over, asking for 'an unprecedented international reconstruction programme, a Marshall Plan for Ukraine'.
He said: "I trust that we all will rebuild a free, European, democratic, and successful Ukraine after our victory in this war."
Russian aggression against Ukraine did not begin this year, they annexed Crimea in 2014 and in that same year began an armed conflict in the Donbas region of Ukraine by supporting separatist movements.
Since the full Russian invasion began two months ago, Mariupol has seen some of the worst fighting with the city that was home to 400,000 people reduced to rubble due to Russian shelling.
Still under siege, there are fears that Russia could take Mariupol as the defenders run low on supplies.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said 'we are doing everything we can to save our people' in regards to efforts to break the siege of the city and rescue the defenders.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Topics: Ukraine, Russia, Vladimir Putin