To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Man’s Face Dramatically Swells After Hair Dye Treatment Goes Horribly Wrong

Man’s Face Dramatically Swells After Hair Dye Treatment Goes Horribly Wrong

Despite doing a skin test before chucking on the die, his head became so swollen he couldn't see out of one eye

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie

Some of us have chanced it and decided to cut or dye our own hair at home, despite knowing it could turn out horribly. It all starts out with bravado and confidence until halfway through and you realise you've taken a huge chunk of hair out or it's looking more orange with every passing minute.

Well that's child's play compared to this poor bloke who tried to switch up his hair colour.

Jordan Vaines picked up a bottle of dye as he wanted to de-ginger some of his hair at home. Should have been a pretty stock standard job, right?

The 22-year-old from Essex said he did what you're supposed to do before dying hair and underwent a skin test. That's done to ensure your body has no adverse reactions to the chemicals inside the cream and if you come out fine then you can crack on.

Mr Vaines was all fine and dandy, so he applied the dye to the rest of his scalp and lo and behold, he was not fine and dandy for much longer.


After about half an hour he noticed that his neck was swelling and his scalp was becoming itchy.

He knew this was no ordinary situation and took himself to A&E, where doctors told him he was having an allergic reaction to the dye. Despite being prescribed steroids to help chill out the swelling, it seemed to only exacerbate the situation.

Cut to three days later and Jordan didn't exactly look like Jordan anymore as his face was incredibly swollen. His facial bulge got so bad that he couldn't see out of one eye.

Jordan added: "My family and friends said I looked like a completely different person it was a horrific experience.

"When dying your hair always, always remember to do a patch test. These reactions can be very serious."


He took himself back to hospital for treatment and was immediately prescribed more steroids and was given fluids via an I/V drip. While that helped stop the swelling from affecting his airways, it wasn't until two weeks later that his face got back to normal.

Let this be a warning to everyone, always do the patch test before dying your hair.

Even though Jordan did one, it shows just how bad it can get.


Attempts were made to obtain comment from Schwarzkopf.

In a previous response, a spokesperson said: "The safety of our products is a top priority for Henkel. All of our products, including our hair color products, are designed and manufactured to meet the highest quality standards and applicable legislation, as well as health and safety requirements.

"We strongly advise all consumers to follow the safety instructions on our hair color products, including performing a skin allergy test as recommended on the product insert."

It's a pretty rough experience that can only really be comparable to poor Cade Huckerbay from Liberty County, Texas. He accidentally caught too many rays while he was out mowing a field.

The then 20-year-old, who'd decided to shave his head not long before, not only got himself rather sunburned - but found his top of his head swelling to twice its normal size.

The swelling ended up lasting for around four or five days - and even left him able to put a dent in his head that would last up to half an hour at a time.

"I was mowing a big field and ended up being out without a hat much longer than I had anticipated," Cade told LADbible. "Safe to say I paid the price."

"It hurt for the first day or two, but after that it was just swollen. I remember at one point I had to undo all of the snaps on my hat to get it to fit on my head," he said.

Cade explained that the pictures were taken on the second day post-burn when he was at 'peak head mass'.

"My head looked and felt like a blob of Play-Doh," he added.

Featured Image Credit: Caters

Topics: Community, Health