• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Jeremy Kyle Responds To Backlash After Documentary Airs

Jess Hardiman

Published 
| Last updated 

Jeremy Kyle Responds To Backlash After Documentary Airs

Jeremy Kyle has responded to the backlash from Channel 4’s recent documentary about his former daytime talk show, which ran for 17 series until it was cancelled in 2019 following the death of guest Steve Dymond, who took his own life. 

The new two-part documentary, Jeremy Kyle: Death On Daytime, concluded last night (Monday 14 March), with many viewers admitting on social media that they found the programme ‘absolutely shocking’. 

A review from the Guardian also said the documentary is a ‘difficult watch, for many reasons’, adding: “Hearing insiders talk about how it was made, and what they did, is incredibly powerful. If some of the details are shocking, they are not surprising; it was all there for 14 years, on screen.” 

After the two episodes aired on Sunday and Monday night respectively, Kyle has now addressed the documentary on his radio show, in an attempt to address ‘the elephant in the room’. 

He also said he would not be commenting on Dymond’s death until the legal process concludes. 

On this morning’s edition of his talkRadio show, Kyle said: “[I’ve had] a couple of texts already talking about a certain programme that was on television last night. 

“Yes, I am fully aware.” 

He continued: “I will say only this, my friends, to you. I have maintained a consistent approach over the last three years. I have said that I will not comment on the tragic death of Steve Dymond until the legal process is finished, and that is a position that I will maintain. 

“When, and trust me there will be a time after the inquest, when it is proper for me to have my say, because there are two sides to every story. I will do it here, and I will do it to you, and that is the most important thing.” 

Kyle previously issued a statement refuting the allegations made in the documentary, confirming that he has contacted lawyers. 

In a statement to The Sun, he said: “I would like to reiterate my deepest sympathies to the friends and family of Mr Dymond.

"I’ve consistently maintained it would be inappropriate to discuss the tragic death of Steve Dymond before the legal inquest into it has concluded.

"Likewise, the false and damaging allegations made against me by Channel 4 are with the lawyers now.

"No doubt ITV will address the issues raised by Channel 4 around ITV’s production of The Jeremy Kyle Show themselves, it would be wrong for me to speak on their behalf.

“Now is not the time to debate or discuss what is an ongoing legal process. When I can respond, I will.”

Credit: ITV
Credit: ITV

In a statement, ITV said: "The Jeremy Kyle Show was broadcast for 14 years. In that time, more than 20,000 people took part in the show seeking help to resolve relationship issues, or to address drug or alcohol related problems.

"The central purpose of the show was conflict resolution, and the show achieved many positive outcomes where people were able to resolve personal problems.

"The Jeremy Kyle Show had extensive and detailed duty of care processes in place for contributors built up over 14 years. It had a dedicated guest welfare team of mental healthcare professionals with decades of experience in NHS mental healthcare, who were focused on the welfare of guests throughout the production process.

"Guests were supported by the programme and welfare teams prior to filming, throughout filming and after filming. Should they require ongoing help then appropriate solutions were found for them, which could include residential rehabilitation, counselling, anger management, family mediation, child access mediation or couples counselling. 

"Due to the gravity of events in May 2019, namely the death of a guest a few days after taking part in the show, ITV decided to end production of the show.

"It would not be appropriate for ITV to comment further on that in advance of the inquest to be held later this month.

"ITV does not accept the central allegation of this programme of a “bad culture” within the production team. ITV would never condone any of its production staff misleading or lying to guests.

"All guests on The Jeremy Kyle Show were aware of the nature of the show and the presenter’s style before taking part in recording. Most of those who applied to appear watched the show themselves. All guests gave their informed consent, in writing, to take part. Since 2018, ITV had taken significant steps in relation to its duty of care of participants. ITV issued detailed new guidance to all its producers on protecting participants in October 2019."

Featured Image Credit: talkRADIO/Twitter/ITV

Topics: TV and Film, Celebrity, Jeremy Kyle

Jess Hardiman
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Entertainment

Jake Paul has brutal response to Tommy Fury's baby daughter announcement

18 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Sam Smith sparks debate about age restrictions over raunchy new music video

a day ago