Advert

Latest

Skull Wearing Sunglasses On Family's Mantelpiece Turns Out To Be Man Missing For Eight Years
published atan hour ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Dog Survives Because Ball Stuck In Its Throat Had A Hole In The Middle

Dog Survives Because Ball Stuck In Its Throat Had A Hole In The Middle

An adorable pooch is lucky to be alive after he swallowed a plastic ball that got completely lodged in his throat.

Scout, a border collie, only survived because the bright yellow spiked toy he swallowed had a hole right through the centre of it which allowed enough air to get through his windpipe and stopped him from suffocated.

Incredible footage shows the toy wedged at the back of Scout's mouth as he pants, struggling to get enough air in.

Advert

Thankfully, staff at the Vets Now Gateshead pet emergency clinic were quickly able to see how serious poor Scout's predicament was and immediately set to work to removing the toy.

The five-year-old dog, who was understandably distressed, was given a sedative so vets could carry out a thorough examination.

Credit: Vets Now
Credit: Vets Now

He was then given an anaesthetic so the emergency team could remove the toy without causing any unnecessary pain.

Advert

Emergency vet Sarah Douglass was able to expertly use a tiny pair of forceps to slowly and gently prise the ball forward, millimetre by millimetre, until she could safely remove it.

Scout's larynx was then given the once over with Sarah delighted to find there was no damage other than some slight swelling and inflammation.

Due to coronavirus restrictions, Scout's anxious owner Margaret Hewett and her partner Les had to wait outside the clinic in their car.

However, Sarah ensured they received regular updates about Scout's progress and were delighted when they were told the ball had been removed and the dog was breathing fine again.

Advert

Margaret, from South Shields, said: "The day it happened everything seemed fine. We were just back from a walk and Scout was playing with the ball in Les's back garden like he had hundreds of times before.

"Suddenly he started retching and we could see that he was in real distress. The toy was no longer in sight and Les was sure he must have swallowed it.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Cow Gets Head Stuck In A Tree

"I tried to look into Scout's mouth, but he was so upset he wouldn't let me. We knew we needed a vet quickly but it was a Sunday and a lot of places were closed.

"To our huge relief Vets Now were open and the staff were brilliant - and very reassuring which is just what we needed.

Advert
Community

Dog Spends Ten Hours Waiting In Window For Owner's Return

published at7 days ago

"Scout went off with Sarah the vet and he seemed to sense straightway that she was there to help him.

"At the end of it all, they brought Scout back out to us. He was a bit wobbly and obviously very tired but apart from that he was okay.

Credit: Vets Now
Credit: Vets Now

"We got him home and he just laid down for a long sleep - feeling very sorry for himself.

Advert

"The ball was part of a rope toy and the hole Scout breathed through was where the rope used to be.

"As a dog owner and dog lover you just would never know that an innocent-looking toy like that could be so dangerous.

"We've had a very lucky escape and Scout definitely won't ever be playing with anything smaller than a tennis ball again."

Senior vet nurse Ashley Wemple added: "Time really is of the essence in this sort of situation. Poor Scout really was very distressed and it was heartbreaking to see him panting and gasping for air.

Credit: Vets Now
Credit: Vets Now

"I'm just relieved we were able to help - and what Margaret says about these toys is totally right.

"They look deceptively innocent and dogs can play with them for days on end with no problem - but if they are swallowed they can be a serious threat to life.

"So the safest thing to do really is to avoid letting your dog play with any toy which they might be able to swallow by mistake."

Featured Image Credit: Vets Now

Topics: Dog, UK, Animals

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Dad Fills Lounge With 26,000 Plastic Balls To Hide Daughter's Birthday Presents
published ata day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Costa Coffee Is Selling Terry's Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate This Christmas

published ata day ago
Woman Moves Into Tent After Losing Job At McDonald's During Lockdown

Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at LADbible who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats. You can contact Claire at [email protected]