ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
More Than 100 Downing Street Staff Invited To Party At Height Of First Lockdown
Home>News
Updated 15:15 5 Apr 2022 GMT+1Published 18:38 10 Jan 2022 GMT

More Than 100 Downing Street Staff Invited To Party At Height Of First Lockdown

The email was sent by the Prime Minister's Principal Private Secretary, Martin Reynolds, to more than 100 employees at Number 10

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

More than 100 Downing Street staff were invited to a party at the height of the first lockdown in May last year, according to what is reported to be a leaked email.

ITV News reports that the email provides 'the first evidence of a party on May 20, 2020', when the rest of the nation was banned from meeting more than one other person outdoors.


EXCL: Email obtained by @itvnews proves over 100 staff were invited to drinks party in No 10 garden at height of lockdown to “make the most of the lovely weather”.

We’re told PM and his wife attended, with staff invited to “bring your own booze!”https://t.co/rg34EIkdz2 pic.twitter.com/UORlSwwHJX

— Paul Brand (@PaulBrandITV) January 10, 2022

The outlet reports that the email was sent by the Prime Minister's Principal Private Secretary, Martin Reynolds, to more than 100 employees at Number 10 - including Boris Johnson's advisors, speechwriters and door staff.

In the message, Reynolds wrote:

Advert

Hi all,

After what has been an incredibly busy period it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening.

Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!

The party was first alluded to by Johnson's former advisor Dominic Cummings, who wrote in a post on his Substack blog last Friday: “On Wednesday 20 May ... a senior No 10 official invited people to ‘socially distanced drinks’ in the garden.

“I and at least one other spad (in writing so Sue Gray can dig up the original email and the warning) said that this seemed to be against the rules and should not happen.

“We were ignored. I was ill and went home to bed early that afternoon but am told this event definitely happened. In my opinion the official who organised this should anyway have been removed that summer because of his failures over Covid. I said this repeatedly to the PM.”

Alamy

The gathering is one of numerous incidents being investigated by senior civil servant Sue Gray, as part of her inquiry into allegations of rule-breaking events held at No. 10 during the pandemic.

Downing Street has denied that Reynolds is to be moved to another post following the claims he invited staff to the 'socially distanced drinks'.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesperson said that Reynolds was staying in his current position, adding: “The Prime Minister has full confidence in his team. There is no change in that post."

The spokesperson refused to be drawn on reports that Boris Johnson had attended the event.

“There is an independent process going on to look into this led by Sue Gray and I can’t comment further while that is taking place," they said.

Labour has accused Johnson of having 'no regard for the rules he puts in place for the rest of us', with Deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner saying: “Boris Johnson has consistently shown that he has no regard for the rules he puts in place for the rest of us. He is trying to get officials to take the fall for his own mistakes, but he sets the tone for the way Downing Street and the rest of Government operates.

“At the time this party took place, key workers on the frontline were working round the clock to keep us all safe, people suffered loneliness and loss in unimaginably tough circumstances and for the majority of the country our freedom was limited to a daily walk.

“Labour has welcomed Sue Gray’s inquiry, but we need confirmation that this latest revelation, and any other parties not yet revealed by press investigations, will be covered by her probe.”

LADbible has reached out to No.10 for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: UK News

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardomAmy Sussman/GettyFreddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 yearsPete Still/RedfernsFitness instructor explains three side effects that happen after going cold turkey on creatineGetty StockSecrets of Ancient Egypt's biggest cult unearthed with latest discovery of 3,500-year-old tombEgyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities

Advert

Choose your content:

28 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Stock
    28 mins ago

    Fitness instructor explains three side effects that happen after going cold turkey on creatine

    Eric Roberts opened up about the impact of no longer taking the supplement

    News
  • Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities
    an hour ago

    Secrets of Ancient Egypt's biggest cult unearthed with latest discovery of 3,500-year-old tomb

    Another wild discovery in the ancient city of Luxor has been located by Egyptologists

    News
  • GoFundMe
    an hour ago

    Family of one of Mackenzie Shirilla's victims has scathing response to news her appeal was denied

    The Flanagan family said the 21-year-old killer's bids for freedom put them 'through hell over and over again'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    2 hours ago

    Correct way to sleep with a fan on during heatwave as doctors warn over hidden impact

    It's the hottest day of the year so far as temperatures are expected to soar over the bank holiday weekend

    News
  • Millions of Nationwide customers get free £100 update as 10 day countdown begins
  • Student Fined For Lockdown Party Wants His Money Back After Downing Street BYOB Scandal
  • Partner of mum who died after being stuck head-first in rocks emotional statement as revealed she 'could've been saved'
  • Drivers waiting more than an hour to fill up as 90-car queues form at petrol stations